chapter three

"Evil, I've come to tell you that she's evil."

Doin' Time- Lana Del Ray

~~~

THE ENGAGEMENT PARTY

AS cars filled with Victor's and Capitol favourites pulled up outside Snow's Mansion, Dove had never felt so nervous in her entire life. She couldn't believe she was about to kill the one person that could destroy the system that has her committing these violent acts.

"Now, as we walk in you link your arm with mine and don't let go until we're inside. This isn't just good press for you but for me as well. With you looking like a walking angel, the people will just eat it up!" Glaïne rambled on to Dove as they stepped out of the limo.

"Right." Dove responded, not really listening to what he was saying. Her thoughts were... elsewhere.

"There will be many famous faces here tonight, so make a good impression on people you don't recognise, and suck up to the ones you already know. Especially the new Victor's; Katniss and Peeta. This is their party, if you're seen mingling with them the publicity will be fabulous darling." Glaïne continued.

"Don't worry. I plan on really warming up to them both, especially Katniss." Dove replied, no emotion plastered on her face.

"And of course, my lovely Dove, have fun, drink lots and get lucky." Glaïne winked, and took back his arm as he walked through the open doors. Dove hadn't even realised they'd reached the top of the palace's steps.

"Have a good night, Glaïne." Dove said, blowing a kiss to her friend as he walked off.

"And I'm sorry." Dove muttered to herself.

She sucked in the most fresh air she could, and then plastered the biggest fake smile on her face as she could as she entered the mansion. When she caught her reflection in one of the small mirrors on the walls of Snow's mansion, she was impressed with how believable her smile actually was considering what was going on inside her brain. Plotting the murder of a new Capitol favourite.

Before she mingled with anyone special at the party, she decided to look around every inch of the mansion until she found the trident that Snow told her would be there waiting for her grasp. She swore she looked in every single room, and there were many, until she found it. Coincidentally, it was on display in one of the most popular rooms in the Mansion. Snow, of course, wasn't going to make this an easy task for his Siren.

Dove's eyes met Snow's, who was stood just to the side of where the golden trident was firmly stood. She swallowed hard as Snow excused himself from the men he was speaking to, and moved away to approach Dove. However, she wasn't willing to let Snow see her weakness, not anymore. Not after last time. Showing no emotion in front of him is how she had survived all these years.

"Miss Akari, how are you finding the party?" Snow asked Dove, however an obvious other meaning was laced behind his words.

"It's quite the event. However I'm most excited for the fireworks." Dove retorted, a sadistic look smeared across her face. Just like Snow would want.

"As am I." Snow smirked at her response. "Please, help yourself to appetisers and drinks. I'll be looking forward to hearing of your successes, Siren." And then Snow was gone. Disappeared into the hoards of people.

Dove made her way back down the bottom floor where the party was most exciting. She had a lot of time to kill, so she thought it was the perfect opportunity to mingle with old friends, or any crazed fan that approached her.