Where did I go wrong?

Martha's POV
I suppose when one looks back on one's life, they begin to wonder either where it had gone wrong, or where it had gone right. I continue to think about that question to this day. But on that one day in particular, January 2, 1964, I was starting to wonder where it had gone wrong. I was twenty and I had graduated from university with flying colors and a degree in music, yet I somehow ended up with a dead end job as an intern to an accountant. And when all your time is spent either on work or thinking about your life and what had happened to you and how you managed to find yourself in this particular spot, things start to look pretty glum.
I had come into work that morning thinking that everything was going to be dull and grey, as always. Ever since I graduated from university, and my cousin Richard, now dubbed "Ringo" had dropped off the face of the earth, that's how it'd been. Just the dull tap tap tap tap PING of the typewriter or the whirring and buzzing of the fax machine, the boring silence and the occasional pen tapping. Or on very rare occasions, somebody would say something stupid and the entire office would immediately be engaged in a very firm battle of trying to out business each other.
Since this was what I was used to, I didn't even bat an eye. That's what I'd grown used to, I called this the sounds of business, and more appropriately, the sounds of hell (especially the latter). Luckily for me, that latter wasn't currently happening. It was just me, at my embarrassingly small desk with a typewriter in front of me, and a calculator, pencil, and paper next to it. Nothing extraordinary about that. As I took a glance at the papers that the boss had plopped in front of me, the fax machine started going bonkers. I once again, didn't bat an eye, seeing how this annoying piece of machinery was part of my everyday life, even though I really wanted to kick it out the window half the time.
As I said before, I didn't even bat an eye. Normally, this is the part of the story where whomever is speaking says "this is where my life was changed forever". And technically, this is where it was changed. But, I'm not as sentimentally outspoken as all the rest, and I'm not nearly as dramatic. Even though I believe in the opposite of dullness, I do not believe in jazzing up a story to the fullest extent of it's dramatical purposes in order to make the audience feel an emotion triggered by these words. This is my story and I shall tell it how I please.
Even though this is where my life changed, it seemed so trivial at the time, I didn't even realize it would affect my life until my boss said, "Oi, Martha! You got a fax from your cousin. Er-"
"Thanks boss!" I said quickly as I snatched the confirmation out of his hands and scampered back to my desk. I knew very well whom he was talking about. My cousin Ringo. More appropriately Richard "Ringo" Starkey, though everyone now called him "Starr". Ever since that ridiculous band he was in booted that Pete Best fellow and hired Ringo, he became one of the most wanted guys on the planet. And since he was one of the most wanted guys on the planet, he was often very busy, and had no time for small fish like me. I was actually very shocked that he had the time to send this. I unfolded the fax and looked it over thoroughly.
"From the desk Brian Epstein,manager of the Beatles, dictated by Ringo Starr
Dear Martha,
How has it been, cousin? It's been ages since I last talked to you. Look I'm real sorry that I haven't been able to contact you for the last year or so, been real busy, you know tours, concerts, recordings, all that jive. But I really miss having you around. So to make it up to you, I've enclosed a paper copy of a ticket to one of our concerts and the legal barcode in case you get stopped at the door. I've also sent you a letter with my signature, allowing you to come backstage after the concert to meet the guys. You should get it by tonight or tomorrow morning. The lads are literally the best guys you could ever meet. So what do you say, cousin? You need to get out of that cramped office anyway and live a little. So, tomorrow night 7:00, Cavern Club,10 Matthews St. Liverpool. Hope to see you there!
Much Love,
your cousin Ringo"

I sighed and rolled my eyes. Ringo drops off the face of the earth for a year and a half and then turns up out of the blue and expects me to drop everything and come to some stupid concert?
I looked up at at the calendar on the wall, my eyes scanning for January third.
Friday, Jan 3 the calendar read cheerfully. I sighed glumly. Well, I thought, not doing anything tomorrow night. Why the hell not? As I said before, when your time is spent on wondering where your life went wrong, everything seems rather glum.
Hey Wafflebunnies.
Yep, another fanfiction. I keep trying to do original work but I like doing this. So what do you guys think of Martha? Real exciting gal, don't ya think.
Love you guys
(> ^_^)># have a waffle
~Maeve

Here Comes the Sun (A Beatles Fanfic)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें