- Prologue -

It's been three years since the incident in the maze. No one talks about it anymore and to be honest I am glad, I don't need reminding of how I killed nine boys without realising. Everyone still remembers however none of the original boys hold it against me. They are my family and I love them. I have grown a lot stronger since then, not just in physical ways but in mental ways, I don't let things get to me. Take a year ago for example, it was the first time I blacked out since the maze. Grievers were attacking me and then boom! I woke up with two dead Grievers at my feet. Minho described the whole thing to me, instead of being terrified, this time he just kept saying I was badass!

Speaking of Minho, he kept his promise to Newt. Everyday without fail he will try and kiss me, flirt with me and many other things. The list would be too long to write. It's very rare these days I succumb to the addiction that is Minho, but I will admit there has been a few times.

Newt is still just as lovely, his leg healed nicely and he hasn't tried to kill himself again. He still doesn't run anymore. He let Zart take over as track-hoe keeper (back then we just called it gardening) and he now helps Alby out when needed as second-in-command. I love him more and more each day. Frypan says he worships the ground I walk on.

Frypan and Gally are like my big brothers! They are always checking on me to see if I'm okay. I love that, Gally has gotten stronger and has built some amazing things in the glade. My personal favourite is the showers! Of course we aren't allowed to use them as often as we'd like in case we run out of water. As for the other original graders they are still as great as ever.

Nick was the first "greenie" we had but we all know what happened to him. Newt and Minho still call me greenie, but it's now become a name for newbie gladers, I don't mind of course. We have had a greenie a month for 3 years! All of them only remembering their name and sometimes their age. Most of them are still here as Alby enforced the new rules straight away, a few of them didn't listen and ran in the maze as the doors closed. Never saw them again. But no one has done that for over a year and a half now! Alby scares them. It's kind of funny to witness actually, he's like a kid telling his friends scary stories, thing is? The gladers believe them, apart from us originals of course!

We carved our names into one of the walls, each person does it on the first night they are here and then we have a party of sorts with a huge fire, Frypans bacon and his weird acid drink! It doesn't burn my mouth at all anymore, I'm so used to it. He still hasn't told anyone the recipe "trade secret" he keeps saying. To be honest I don't care! It tastes good.

I am still a runner, I turned down keeper because I'm always at the keeper meetings anyway regardless of whether I'm a keeper or not, so I let Minho do it. Minho is my runner, we have so much fun in the maze and I love exploring it. It gives me the freedom I need to not go insane!

Ben still runs, but this greenie called James came up in the box a few months back! He could almost give me a run for my money, but I'm still the fastest here. He runs with Ben, who is still a little stupid but he's funny so we forgive him.

The homestead got turned upside down! We didn't have enough rooms so all the walls got knocked down and now everyone sleeps in hammocks! I do have my own room, not because I'm a girl, I've gotten past the "oh I'm a girl!" Thing and realised that I don't give a shit. But because I still have nightmares. No one comforts me when I scream anymore mainly because the boys just sleep through it nowadays. Greenies are told about my screaming and to not worry about it, I'm okay just my nightmares. So they don't come in my room either.

The medjack hut, council hall and kitchen are all separate buildings now thanks to Gally and his builders. There is also a blood house for Winston and the slicers but I try hard not to think about that. We have a graveyard of sorts on the other side of the wooded area we call the deadheads. We haven't found most of the boys bodies but we still write their names up there anyway.

Speaking of...I am still the only girl. No other girls have come up in the box since. Not that I mind of course, I wouldn't class myself as the "girl" type. Even though physically I am a girl.

Anyway things have been pretty normal here in glade over the last few years. Last month this kid came up, he was about 13, the youngest to ever come up in the box. His name is Chuck.
He was so scared, I think of him
As my little brother, everyday we talk and stuff about how my day was and how his day was. I persuaded Alby to give him the track-hoe job, so he can be with Newt. Newt enjoys a good chat and Chuck is damn good at talking. He sits with me at dinner in the evening. Chuck's hammock is right outside my door along with Minho and Newt's. But I like Chuck, I feel like it's my job to protect him yah know? If I have a nightmare and Chuck wakes up he comes in and we sit and talk. I really adore Chuck he's one of my best friends.

No one mentions to the greenies about me and what I've done. No one talks about the Grievers either. We pretend like no one has seen one, even though I've killed about four of them. We need the greenies to think things are normal and they need to wait for us runners to find an exit and that was that.

But the same thing was on everyone's mind, greenie or not...

When the shuck will we get out of this place?