Fuck the Stars

(AU where Zee is sent off for arranged marriage. Old ideas, arranged marriages still exist, but it's set in present-day England. (Imagine the 96' Romeo+Juliet) The Constantines are the typical poverty-ridden drug/alcohol-addicted low-class family where only the kids work as help for the Zataras, a high-end family with hidden magical ties. Violet Zatanna, the daughter of the Zataras is to be wed to the oldest of the Necro family, another household laced with magic, unbeknownst to everyone in their ignorant cities)

"Violet, for God's sake, please come down here," Mom yells. "Yeah, one second," I respond, waiting for Cheryl to be done with my hair. "Oi, Cher," her brother says, stepping into my room. "What is it, John? I'm b-"

"I could give less of a damn what you're doing. The fucker's asking for us to get the bloody fuck home. He missed on rent again, and the bloody alcoholic needs our wages to pay for it. Goin' back down to Giovanni and Sindella to ask for our wages for the month."

"Did you really just- show some respect, John! Please! Mr. Zatara's daughter is right here," she scolds before turning to me. "Miss Zatara, I am truly sorry for my brother's actions, and I will be sure to-" she starts before I cut her off. "No, it's quite alright, Cheryl. No need for formalities. We've been friends since we were six. I understand if you need to go, and I'll be fine on my own."

"Are you sure, Miss?"

"Positive. It's not like this meeting is going to define my whole future."

"If you forgot, it is going to define and decide your future."

"Hold the bloody- what is she preparin' for again?"

I love this guy, but he's fucking impossible sometimes.

"Your puppy dog crush," she motions to me. "Is preparing to meet her future husband. It would do you some good to show respect to her and her parents before you get fired, John. Besides, we just got our wages last week, and there's no way in the depths of Hell they're giving us our silver for a month's work when we've only passed a week and a half of work."

"Cher, it don't 'urt t' ask. We don't have any bloody food at home, if you forgot."

Hearing that broke my heart. Cheryl does everything that she's told to do and beyond, and well, while John is an... accustomed taste, definitely one that my mom wishes wasn't around me, but regardless, it's certainly interesting when he's around, and sometimes I forget that not everyone is as fortunate as we are.

I walk up over to my jewelry box and pick up one of my most lavish necklaces that would no doubt sell for a fortune by their standards, barely a pence by ours.

I place it in Cheryl's hand and close her palm around it. "What..?"

"Sell it. Get yourself some food, pay your rent, whatever that will get you. No doubt that'll sell for a fortune." I sit back down, opening my drawer and picking up my coin purse, picking out the spare shillings I won't need for a while. It's not like I have any choice in my future in if I want to marry Nicolas or not. I'm marrying him no matter what. He's going to "take care of me".

I place those in John's hand. "Now, go home. I can do everything else. You already do so much for me. Just please, help your dad."

"Bloody arsehole doesn't deserve a bloody minute of our time. We jus' don't have anywhere to go t' sleep. If we don't help the bloody motherfucker, he won't let us sleep anywhere. Period. End of bloody story."

"We have- we have guest rooms, I'm sure we do. Even if Mom won't allow you to, I'm sure- I'm sure we have a living quarters for help..."

"No need. You already give us so much."