Light of my Life

i. Fifteen

In the middle of the night, my phone rings. "Hey, J... another nightmare?"

"Anna?" An unfamiliar voice asks, as if they didn't know who I was, but knew my name, like they weren't sure who they were talking to. "Who- who are you?" I ask in return, my voice changing drastically. "Are you Anna?"

Only John calls me Anna. "Who's asking? And at this time, nonetheless?"

"Constantine's in the back room passed out. Said to call you if he did pass out."

"I'm- I'm sorry, where is he? Who are you?"

"Name's Adam Dean. He's at Starlight."

"Starli-..." I start before remembering what Starlight was.

The bar down the street.

What drove him to go there this time?

"Hold him in the back. I'll be there soon."

I hang up the phone and roll off of my bed, waving a hand over my body, changing into a scarlet-colored corset and leather pants, putting a black blazer over it.

If I'm going to pick this dumbass up from a bar, I need to pass like I'm twenty-one.

I unlock my window and drop down onto the ground.

I jump over the fence and into the street before walking out to the bar.

"ID?" A bouncer asks. I flash him my fake ID. "When'd you turn 21?"

"Damn it, just let me in. I just want to pick my boyfriend up."

"I need a date."

"Four months ago," I lie, and push past him.

Wow. Damn, that's the first time someone's questioned me in a while.

"Hi, Adam Dean?"

"Anna?"

"Where's John? I want to get him the hell out of here."

"Back room."

I walk to the back room, ignoring the men that holler at me.

I walk into the room, and see him passed out, wearing a black leather jacket that's not his, and some very low jeans, with a shit ton of eyeliner.

"Shit, how drunk are you, John?" I mutter, holding him in my arms and shaking him awake. "John, J, please, wake- wake up... c'mon, please..."

He opens his eyes slightly. "Anna..?"

"Please, J, let's- let's go home," I mutter. "When'd y- when'd ya get so bloody hot..." I barely hear, his eyes wandering to my breasts.

"John?" he loops his arms around my neck and pulls me down into a kiss.

He's- he's my best friend. Nothing more.

I push myself up, away from his touch. "John, you're drunk."

"I know... can't bloody bring myself t' do this when I'm bloody sober..."

"John, please..." I pull him into my arms and whisper a spell under my breath, teleporting us outside his door.

I knock on the door, and everything immediately changes in my tone once I see who opens the door. "I- oh- Mister- Mister Constantine..." I say, my eyes immediately shooting towards the ground to avoid his gaze. "I... I thought... I thought that Cheryl would be home... where- where is she?"

"The slut's out with her boyfriend. Now, why are you here, Zatara?"

"I... I'm- John's-"

"Did I ask why the killer is here? I asked why you're here, and looking so fucking hot at the same time."