Chapter 3 · Blooming Friendship

All this time, the girl she was with, the girl who now sat before her with a teasing smirk on her lips she was his sister?!

Heather couldnt believe it.

Are you really?

Sherin merely rolled her eyes. Oh Heather. She shook her head. Not only did you not recognize me, now you dont believe me too? Even when I tell you who I am?

I-its hard to believe you know? Heather was still in amazement. So you really are?

Sherin arched an eyebrow. Perhaps you can ask one of the peeking students here, she jerked her chin to where the other pupils sat in the cafeteria, and believe them over my words?

No, no, no. Heather shook her head, blinking several times, forcing herself to believe. I believe you.

Good. Sherin folded her arms on the table. Anyway, I was expecting you to ask me, Lucas Starvelths daughter?! Not Leonardo Starvelths sister?! Her smirk widened as she mimicked Heathers previous shocked tone.

Heathers cheeks betrayed her; oh dang it! I think thats because weve been hearing about your brother more than your dad lately. She suddenly came up with a plan to cover up her blushing reason. Obviously, it was not because she was hearing a lot, but thinking a lot about him. That was why he was the first person to cross her mind at the mention of Starvelth.

Sherins amusement vanished. Oh yeah. Her lips thinned. I almost forgot that.

Heather felt a twinge of guilt watching her frown. Im sorry, I really didnt mean to offend you or–

No, I understand. Sherin flashed a fake smile. You were only being honest.

No, no no, youre misunderstanding me. Heather protested, keeping her voice low. I dont think your brother is a bad person or anything, like the others are thinking. Her eyes pleaded with Sherin to understand. I dont even think that he is a criminal.

That caught Sherins attention. And what gives you the confidence that I dont have myself?

Heathers eyes widened slightly. I beg your pardon?

Sherin closed her eyes to inhale and opened them. Her gray-blue eyes were drenched in pain as her voice shook. My brother himself confesses that hes a criminal, so how can you contradict that?

Heather gulped; she really was talking with his sister and discussing him. She had to pinch herself. I just dont like imagining people are bad, no matter how bad they are. She shrugged.

A small smile that didnt reach her eyes pulled at the corner of Sherins lips. My brother would literally laugh at you if I told him this.

Heathers cheeks flamed and her eyes grew huge. Wait, youre not going to tell him about this stupid conversation, are you?

Sherin stifled a chuckle. Dont worry. Her voice was still miserable, as much as she tried to mask it; and Heather could tell how much Sherin loved her brother. Im not going to be reunited with him unless hes allowed bail.

Im so sorry Heather frowned deeply, truly sorry for her.

Thats what everyone says, Sherin shrugged, looking away.

Isnt there any way to free him from this? Heather blurted out. She had longed to know that.

He was betrayed, Heather, my brother got trapped. Sherin summoned the courage to meet her eyes again, her voice lower than before. And no; his situation is like a lions den. Everyone who doesnt like my dad for whatever reason is taking advantage of it to ruin his career, and Leo is now aiming to be– Sherin suddenly composed herself, blinking twice as she realized she was giving out too many details. Why am I even telling this to you?