Chapter 2 · The Mysterious Brunette

Leonardo Starvelths drug case was the only topic of the news channels, the papers, and even in magazines in the following days, while Leonardo was still held in jail without bail allowed, as the court was still discussing his sentence.

Heathers heart almost broke when she read the news about his sentence; his life would be wasted in jail for one to ten years, depending on what the court decided. The twenty-three-year-old Leonardo would be thirty-three when he got freed from jail.

And that was terrible!

In her house, only Heather seemed to worry about a boy she didnt know, while the others didnt even care to know more about the news. Sometimes Heather used to wonder, why she cared so much for a boy she didnt know, who was allegedly the spoiled son of a celebrity, he who was a total stranger to her But she couldnt pretend his face didnt pop up every time she bowed her head before God in prayer. Feeling as though God wanted her to pray for him, she would pray every time his face came to her mind. That had become a daily routine in her prayer life. A part of her still wondered why, but she believed, one day, her prayers for him would produce a result.

She never shared this urge to pray for Leonardo with anyone in her family. According to her dad, Frederic, the fall of the movie star Lucas Starvelth and his son was something that Lucas deserved, because he was arrogant.

Heather couldnt agree with him at all. It only annoyed her to hear this from her dad, who was also her role model in life with his success in his own business that he ran, with branches in nearly sixty-seven countries. And it seemed like she wasnt the only one who thought their dads views of Lucas Starvelth were wrong.

He sounds like he hates him so much, dont you think? Arel, her fifteen-year-old sister, asked in a murmur as they both descended the stairs from their rooms for breakfast, after getting dressed for the first day of the new school year.

Heather shrugged uncertainly. Hate is a strong word, Arel. But youre right, dad sounds like he dislikes Lucas a lot. She gave an amused chuckle. I wonder why.

He doesnt watch a single movie that has Lucas in it and he doesnt allow us to watch them at all, either. Whats wrong with him? Both sisters turned to face each other and stopped simultaneously, keeping an eye on the stairs below just in case.

All I know is that he doesnt like Lucas at all and the excuse he gives when we ask him why is Lucas is an arrogant person. Heather shook her head, thinking about their dear dad. Okay, maybe we really dont have to question his personal preferences; but the thing is, what he does now, enjoying the fall of one person he doesnt like

Yeah, I get that. Arel agreed with her sister, twisting the locks of her dark hair with her index finger as she frowned. God would never like such an attitude; no matter what kind of person had the fall, even if hes someone whos against us.

I know, right? Im worried for him in that case. Heather frowned as she thought about their dad, folding her arms across her chest. Have you noticed that he talks about Lucas like hes met him before?

Arel thought for a second. Do you think Lucas and our dad were in some sort of same school or college when they were younger?

What? Heather stifled a laugh.

Well, I think what she said has some logical sense, said a voice from above the stairs, startling them.

Turning around, they saw the twins, Fodd and Ferry standing on the stairs.

We didnt mean to eavesdrop. Ferry apologized, narrowing her eyes at her twin who interrupted their older sisters conversation. She nervously fiddled with her fingers in front of her. We were just coming down but stopped when we heard you talking and didnt want to interrupt.