Chapter 31

What were the odds? What were the odds of messing up your first day at school so badly you embarrass yourself in front of your cruel maths teacher and get called into the principal's office for leaving the school grounds?

Taehyung felt like he was being punished. Was it too much to ask for a disaster-free first day in his first important day in the common world? Was this his own fault or fate's fault? Several thoughts went through his head as he walked the corridor to the principal's office yet again.

The only thing giving him somewhat hope was the fact that Jungkook was with him, walking alongside him, supporting him by not leaving his side. Since he felt like there was a huge frog nesting in his throat, he was not able to speak but if he were, he would make sure to thoroughly express his gratitude.

Luckily, Jungkook was right and the principal was a nice man. Of course, he was not all too happy with the fact that his newest student (without any documents identifying previous scholar activities or report cards) had already broken one of the most important school rules, but the prince batting his eyelashes and meekly gazing at him with apologetic puppy eyes made him forgive him without any detention or extra work.

"You're lucky you're pretty, I've never seen him let anybody off that easily," Jungkook whispered as they left with huge relief pumping through their veins. Taehyung halted in his step, feeling his heart jolt a little.
"Y-You think I'm...?"

"Well, it's not exactly a secret, is it? First time I saw you, I remember I was so shook by your beauty I felt intimidated and like I entered heaven," the brunette responded cheekily, nudging him slightly which made the prince's heart jolt even more.
"You-- You flatter me. But thank you. I think you're pretty, too," he added quietly.

Suddenly feeling as if he had taken five thousand shots of strong vodka out of nowhere, Jungkook smiled sheepishly. "Thanks," he whispered, suddenly sensing the other's presence much stronger than before and a strange tingling sensation in his right hand. It almost seemed as if it was magnetically attracted to Taehyung's left hand right next to it and burning to touch it, if only his brain wouldn't force it to stand put right where it was.

Taehyung suddenly felt strange, too. It was as if the air around him had changed, it smelled sweeter, clogging up his senses and messing with his consciousness. What was this sudden strong emotion that he didn't know how to describe or explain? Despite all the medical conditions he had looked up, he quite found that he could not find a solution for the powerful feelings he felt around a certain someone. And considering the fact that he also felt the most comforting sense of security around this person, he found himself to be horribly confused.

However, all of a sudden, both boys broke out of their trance as their path was blocked by another person, clearly standing in their way to confront or talk to them. Which worried both of them.

The boy looked bright, extroverted and bold, with shrill orange hair and colourful clothes, presumably clothes that he had altered for himself- his bright green sweater and trainers had been stylishly embellished by laughing smiley faces, but that in a way that appeared good and well-suited to the spectator. To give his look a finishing touch, he wore a fitting brown leather pouch.

Taehyung felt that he had seen this boy before, although he wasn't sure why he seemed familiar. It wasn't like he had been in his maths class before, after all. And he didn't think he saw him anywhere in the morning as he'd remember an eccentric presence like that immediately.

Jungkook widened his eyes, immediately recognizing him. "Uh... hi--"
"So you actually didn't die! Do you have any idea how much your friends mourned you? Why would you fake your own death like that just to randomly turn up out of the blue again, have you no shame?," the orange-haired boy fired at him, his usually so kind eyes narrowed into accusing slits.