Chapter 18

After one more week of ignoring as many responsibilities as possible, having as much fun as they could and simply ignoring the inevitable, it was finally time.

Taehyung's birthday party was being celebrated.

Jungkook had lots of fun secretly nicking delicious snacks from the kitchen during his kitchen duties when the other servants weren't looking, but of course always saving some for Taehyung. Jimin, who frequently caught him doing so gave a disapproving shake of his head but didn't say anything further.

And no matter how much Taehyung dreaded and feared his own birthday party, sitting in his garden pavillion with Jungkook while munching on creamy raspberry tarts that the latter had sneaked out of the kitchen and mindlessly talking about mindless things always eased him up and made him feel a sense of freedom that he rarely felt. Sometimes, he felt a strong desire to inch closer and lean his head on the brunette's shoulder cozily but unfortunately, he never had the courage to do so.

The prince was also starting to feel interested in Jungkook's phone and commoners' technology. He was always eager to learn about more functions, listen to modern music and look at pictures that Jungkook had taken, be it nature, buildings, random pictures from school or silly little joke photos that he had taken while hanging out with his friends. Was it possible to feel connected to places he had never been to before?

However, time flowed quicker than he thought. As if he had filled his palm with beach sand and it was slowly, but surely slipping through his fingers until he was left with nothing. And then came the day he dreaded oh-so horribly.

"Your Majesty, please stop blinking your eyelids. I must apply this curious powder on them, it will make them glitter beautifully," Jimin spoke while holding vial-like thing with something that pretty much looked like eye shadow. But Taehyung evidently did not like it, jerking back a bit.
"What is this? It feels very unpleasant!"

Jungkook was sitting on the bed watching the two of them, finding this more entertaining than he should. He caught himself doing that a lot lately, watching Taehyung sit on his majestic stool and get beautified by Jimin every morning. Except when he changed his clothes, he wasn't a creep after all.

Taehyung had never applied make-up (or Elysium's equivalent for make-up) before, but since this was his 'big day', it was mandatory and Jungkook was most definetely not complaining at the sight. Of course, the prince was beautiful no matter what he did, but the make-up gave his features such a beautiful glow and accentuation that he almost wasn't capable of taking his eyes off him.

His clothes were more extravagant than usual aswell, more detail, more expensive fabric that hugged his body flawlessly, more beautiful embellishments- of course his most gorgeous tiara to top it off, diamonds of all shapes and sizes decorating his blueberry-coloured hair like little stars. Jungkook tried very hard to keep himself from drooling.

"You look wonderful, Your Majesty. I will announce that you're ready in the ballroom. He will accompany you there," Jimin spoke with a bow, pointing towards Jungkook and kind of inspecting him as if he feared that the brunette might mess up. Said brunette responded with a roll of his eyes.

As soon as Jimin had left the room, Jungkook approached a stoic-looking Taehyung carefully. "So, how you feeling?" The prince shrugged, not knowing what to feel or how to act. He simply stared at himself in his clear, golden mirror, wondering what he was supposed to think about the boy staring back at him. Despite being so prettied up, he thought he looked unnaturally pale.

Standing next to him, Jungkook wrapped an arm around his waist and pulled him a bit closer, not sure how to feel either. He actually felt a bit sad, not really sure why. "You don't need to hide, you know. Your thoughts, your feelings. Not with me." Taehyung felt his heartbeat accelerate significantly, blinking but not saying anything.