Chapter 30

In his first lunch break, Taehyung requested to have his lunch outside on the school patio instead of being cooped up in the school cafeteria with multiple strangers. Jungkook was highly pleased about that suggestion and immediately complied.

They planned on meeting Yugyeom and Yoongi soon, the two of them planning on catching up with some people before joining them. So far, no one had tried to confront Jungkook about his sudden dis- and reappearance which he was only too glad about. However, he was sure it was only a matter of time until someone had something to say. How to make up a convincing story that did not include him getting lost in the woods and accidentally stumbling upon a secret kingdom, he did not know yet. But he didn't consider himself the "master of figuring things out" for nothing.

"I can see all the little children playing from here. How wonderful." Taehyung smiled giddily, watching three little girls rope-skipping while laughing loudly close behind the primary school gates. Him and Jungkook were sitting on a huge rock in front of the building, where it was peaceful and empty with the exception of only few students.

"You sure do love children," the brunette commented, taking a sip from his packet of chocolate-flavoured milk. The prince nodded enthusiastically. "Why yes, of course I do! They're so little and energetic! My biggest wish is to raise a tiny little human of my own."

"Yet you rejected the possibility of doing exactly that." Taehyung shrugged. "Yes. Because I want a child, not an heir." The younger smiled at that.
"Fair point... Do you ever think of the future, what'll happen to you, who and what you'll end up with?"

There was silence for a while. "I used to be afraid of it. Of my future responsibilities and expectations on me as a... ruler. I tried to avoid them as much as possible, I tried not to let them influence my life and live it how I wanted to live it. But of course, that would never have been a long-term solution. However, I will leave all of that in the past. I'm done running and I will face whatever comes across me with a clear mind."

Jungkook nodded, feeling nothing but admiration for the prince's moving speech. He accidentally caught himself staring at the other for a little too long, it was simply too strange to see him here, the place he had known for so many years and yet, he was experiencing it so differently. Taehyung made a difference.

"You surely have a way with words. I'm glad you're leaving the past in the past, it must not be easy." The blue-haired boy, who'd been watching two little boys share a chicken sandwich in the other school's playground, turned towards the brunette with a smile. "Just because it's not easy does not mean it's not possible!"

"True... But what if your family comes searching for you here? What if they send out, like, soldiers to invade our world and force you back?" Taehyung shrugged, imagining his mother and father and siblings back in the castle, either worrying about him or cussing him out.
"There's no way. Mother and father proclaimed this world a strict taboo. Everyone is afraid of it and I'm certain they will search the village first. People in Elysium aren't as smart as they are here." He grinned.

"That Jimin guy surely seemed smart, though. You have no idea how much he bossed me around while we were doing chores together. Well, I guess I learned something, though. If I fail school, I can become a caterer and make the prettiest-looking dishes in the whole of Korea." Taehyung's smile faltered a little.

"Jimin... I've known him since I was nine. He had been assigned to be my servant when he just turned ten. And he always followed instructions so well and never complained. I hope he is doing well, he is such a wonderful boy to whom I owe part of my life to. Even if he never let anyone know what his thoughts looked like, I valued his presence so much. He made me feel less lonely during lonely times." Jungkook smiled sadly, thinking of how Jimin tried to protect his prince the first time he saw him. He had thought of Jungkook as a dangerous man and did not hesitate to rush to Taehyung's aid.