37 - Answers

ఌ𝙰𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚢𝚊𝚑ఌ

I approach him carefully and quietly. I have to be careful with this one.

I've had one burning question on my mind and I can't hold it in anymore. I need an answer. Need it.

I sit down on the couch next to him, facing him and sitting on my knees. Alex turns his head and looks at me instead of the tv. "Hey," He greets me. "What's up?" He inquires, wrapping his arm around my waist. His hand falls dangerously close to my butt.

"I have a question..." I quietly announce. "And you may not like it." I add, growing nervous.

Alex's eyebrows pinch together in confusion. "Okay..." He carefully mumbles. "What is it?" He coaxes. I feel his thumb slowly moving up and down on my back which is a little comforting.

I take a deep breath. "You got me to be your date to Manuel's wedding because there was a different girl who you didn't want to go with." I begin. "Lily." I clarify.

Alex still looks mildly confused as he nods. "Yeah." He mumbles. "So..." He trials off, hinting at me to go on.

I hesitate before asking. "What happened there?" I ask him. I keep my voice down so he hopefully doesn't feel like I'm attacking him or something.

Alex stares at me for a few seconds. "What do you mean?" His thumb stops slowly moving up and down on my back and I can feel his hand retract ever so slightly. He keeps his hand there, but pulls back a little.

I frown, realizing I may be making a mistake here. I keep going though. I've had this question for too long, I can't just drop it. "What was that relationship?" I clarify. "Did you..." I trial off, unsure of how to ask. I decide to be blunt. "Did you love her?" I ask.

From what I understand, it was a one night stand of some sort. But he went through all that trouble just to not spend a few hours with her. He really didn't even have to talk to her, maybe just sit with her.

So, why risk taking his assistant at the time with him? If their relationship was nothing but a one night stand.

"No." Alex's answer is quick and sure. "I don't love her." He adds. "Never have and never will." He shakes his head.

I feel a bit better at the sound of his sure tone. Sure, it was before him and I ever got together, but still. It's nice to know that he wasn't in love with her. "Okay...so, what was it?" I push my luck on the subject. I can only pray I don't get an answer I don't want.

"You want me to be blunt with you, Aaliyah?"

I hesitate before nodding, knowing I will most likely regret this. "Yes." I breathe, preparing myself.

"She meant absolutely nothing to me." Alex declares, shaking his head. "I hadn't had sex in a while, we were both drunk, and she'd been flirting all night." He explains, shrugging. I frown a little at the confession. Alex sighs. "I used to be an ass, Aaliyah. More so since when you met me." He goes on. "I didn't really care about how my actions could affect other people. And sometimes, I still don't." He lifts his other hand to swipe a piece of my hair out of my face and behind my ear. "Then you came along and, unfortunately, made me aware of people's feelings." He mutters.

I laugh quietly. "Unfortunately?" I repeat. He says it like it's a bad thing.

Alex nods. "Unfortunately." He sadly confirms. "Your stupid morality rubbed off on me." He adds, genuinely bitter.

I study Alex for a moment. "Why go through so much trouble if it didn't mean anything?" I continue to ask my questions.

Alex shrugs and thinks for a moment. "She's someone from my past that I'm not exactly proud of." He mumbles. "I love you." He tells me, letting his head fall to the side slightly as he studies me.