I remember being flustered, but I smiled and said "Yes! I don't have many friends. Actually, I don't have any friends. I think you're a good friend. I like your smile."

He laughed and scooted closer to me. And we were best friends. We did everything together. He was a year older, so he guided me through all things school related, because he had already done it. He held my hand on all of the big rides at amusement parks, because he had already done them. He convinced me to join a Learn to Skate program, because he had already passed it.

In middle school, when I was in seventh grade and he was in eighth, I realized that I had a crush on him. At first I ignored it, but then it became more intense, creeping into my dreams nightly. By eighth grade I was able to work up the courage to tell him. We rode the same bus, so even though he went to the high school and me the middle, we rode to and from school together.

One day I was sitting there, on the bus, and Luke took his usual seat, right next to mine.

I took a deap breath. "Luke?"

"Yeah?" he smiled down at me, and I resented the fact that he was so much taller than me.

"I- I have something to tell you."

He nods, telling me to go on.

"I think... I think I like you." I had screwed my eyes shut, waiting to be laughed at. But the laughter didn't come. I opened my eyes tentativley. Luke looked a little shocked, but not like he was going to make fun of me.

"I- wow. Wow."

"I knew it," I groaned. "You think of me as a sister. It's fine-"

"No," Luke interrupted me. "I think I might like you too."

"Really?" I hoped I didn't sound as shocked as I felt.

"Really," he said, laughing. "Annie, do you want to be my girlfriend?"

I laughed, so relieved I hadn't scared away my closest friend. "Yeah, I'd like that." I had leaned over and rested my head on his shoulder, still laughing. "I'd like that," I repeated, much quieter this time.

~~~~~

"Fine," a deeper voice, yet still Luke's drew me out of my reveries. "Would you rather I call you Annabeth?" 

"I'd like that," I whisper, whithout thinking. His expression changes from resentful to surprised. His beautiful blue eyes shocked. I clap my hand over my mouth.

"Annabeth, I-" but I didn't let him finish. I turned, and ran from the cafeteria.

Do I still love Luke?

Percy's p.o.v.

Luke went to run after Annabeth, but I stopped him. "I think you've done enough," I growl. Then, I chase after her myself. She manages to dodge me by slipping into the girls bathroom. I can hear her slam a stall door, and then... sobs? I don't know if I believe my ears. Annabeth doesn't seem like a crier.

"Annabeth?" I call.

"Go away Luke!" her muffled voice reahes me through the door.

"It's Percy, actually."

"Oh," I hear her open the stall, and then she's standing in front of me. "What are you doing here?"

"I just... you seemed upset." I scratch the back of my neck.

"Well, I'm not."

"Okay-"

"Come with me," she says, her cheeks still wet. She grabs my wrist and pulls me down the hall. We end up in a deserted hall, and she pulls me into the same room we compared necklaces, just a week ago. It seems like a lot longer. She sits in a chair, and strts crying again.