Memories

Annabeth's p.o.v.

"Don't look now," Piper says. "But here comes a traitor." I whip my head around, and Luke Castellen, Ethan Nakamura, and Kelli I-don't-care-about-her-enough-to-know-her-surname are standing behind me.

"Hey Annie," Luke smirks. "I heard you got in trouble. For sneaking out. With Jackson."

"And?" I ask. "This is your buisness how?"

"Well," Luke looks over an Ethan in a pitying way. "You haven't heard?"

"Heard what jerk?" Katie asks, a disgusted look on her face.

"Well," Kelli looks sad. "Percy was, well, making fun of you, Annie. Calling you stupid and reckless for getting caught. He said the only reason he hangs out with you is because he feels bad. He said he'd never associate with anyone as ugly as you otherwise."

"You know," Hazel rolls her eyes. "Lying is a sin. Although, you probably want to go home to the pit of hell you crawled out of, Kelli." Clarisse snorts into her glass of water.

"Remind me to write that down, Levesque," she says, still chortling. Even Reyna cracks a smile.

"Oh," Luke laughs sadly. "She's not lying. We heard it ourselves."

"That's funny," says the voice of Jason Grace. "Because I didn't." He's standing behind Luke, taller than him by at least three inches. Suddenly, Percy is there too.

"And what's even funnier," the black haired boy rolls his eyes, smiling. "Neither did I."

"He's obviously just trying to cover for himself," Ethan says in a desprate attempt to regain the edge.

"Poor Ethan," I laugh. "At least you'll get to be with your girlfriend in the afterlife."

"Whatever," Kelli scoffs. "At least I don't sneak out at midnight to see my boyfriend."

"That's likely," I glare at her. "And he's not my boyfriend," I add, looking at Percy as what Kelli said sank in.

"She's right," Percy says. "I'm not her boyfriend." I can't read his expression. The only word I can think of to describe it is 'blank.'

Percy turns on Luke, his expression transforming from blank to dark. "You should really go," he says.

"I don't think I will," Luke shoots back.

I stand, my own expression turning furious. "Go away," I tell him. "Now."

Luke gives me a condesending look. "Now now Annie-"

"Don't call me that," I say, nearly ready to punch him. Even so, he's still good looking.

It infuriates me.

~~~~~

Luke and I used to be best friends. He was sitting in the backseat of the car Thalia hopped in after finding me. She had seated me next to Luke, then sat in the front seat next to her older foster sister Zoe. Luke was her foster sibling at the time as well, and they were driving through New York in a huge black pickup truck.

The mystery boy had looked at me and said "Hi, I'm Luke. What's your name?"

"I'm Annabeth," I faltered, a bit nervous.

"I've never heard that name before," Luke had smiled. "I like it. Well, I already told you my name. I'm sure she already told you, but that's my sister Thalia," he pointed to the girl in all black, "and that's my other sister, Zoe," he pointed to the driver. "Technically, they're not my sisters, but we're close enough to each other to consider them my siblings. We're all foster kids. I like your hair. And your backpack. Is that a hammer? Do you want to be my best friend?"