XXVIII

Onika Tanya Maraj

Last day.

Onika woke up—slowly but surely. Fluttering her eyes open as she heard the birds that frequented this area sing.

She felt an arm wrapped around her waist and she turned her head  to look at a peacefully sleeping Beyoncé.

Her curly hair was all over the place but Onika didn't care, she looked over to her clock. It was 1pm.

"I slept that late?" She mumbled. She knew her father was already outside doing his usual routine.

Apparently though, she was moving too much for Beyonces liking. Because her arm tightened even more around Onikas waist.

Onika blushed slightly when Beyoncé pulled her closer, but the blonde was still asleep. Onika managed to carefully slip out of Beyoncés grasp.

When she was fully up, she looked back at Beyonce who suddenly looked uncomfortable at Onika's disappearance but turned over in her sleep.

She snuck out the room and closed the door, and searched for her father. She searched down stairs, and she wasn't surprised when she didn't see him. She instead peeked outside to see him meditating like usual.

She slid open the screen door and stepped out, descending down the porch stairs and making her slow journey over to her father.

She felt the sand come in contact with her feet, and the sun was shining as usual. She smiled, taking it all in. She was so—at peace. She wasn't stressed out, she wasn't tired of anything she felt so content. She took a seat right next to her father.

Onika looked out at the sea—she knew it wasn't her last time doing so. But—she felt the end of her journey was now here.

But she knew deep down she had a long way to go.

She looked over to her father—that had his eyes closed—taking deep breathes. He didn't seem phased, and Onika felt like something was eating at her.

She had to get something out.

Because today was the day she was leaving, after a full month.

She nervously played with her hands, looking down at her bare thighs. She sighed.

"Thank you." She said outloud, Robert just smiled. "For what?" He asked opening one of his eyes. Onika rolled her eyes playfully, she knew he'd make her say why.

"For..being here. I was really struggling dad. And I don't ever want to go down that road again. You helped me realize so many things and..and I just can't thank you enough."Onika let out.

Onika was in dire need, she didn't realize how much this bootcamp could change way she not only views herself—but change her as a whole.

She knows the rape wasn't her fault—she knows Lauren is a bad friend—not only that but a terrible person. She knows that addiction is real—and that it ran in her family which explains why it didn't take much for her to give in to it.

She looked over to her father, the man that helped her through it all.

But has also been through it all.

"You're welcome Onika. There's no need to thank me though—" He was cut off by the feeling of Onika embracing him.

The hug was warm—solid—and it made Robert tear up as he hugged his daughter back.

Their relationship had been rough, real rough. Robert used to be an addict, that greatly affected Onikas childhood—and he never expected Onika to forgive him or tolerate him again. He never expected her to hug him again.