40. Party Time

VIOLET

I wake up in my room, in my bed, all by myself. I groan and roll over to see that it's about 8:00. I don't remember what I did at all today, but I think I was happy. Now all the old feelings are back, and I begin to think that my dreams are a safer, happier place. Maybe I'll be better off...if I just don't wake up again.

I get dressed, secretly praying to see Tate again. He said he had a surprise for me. It's Halloween but I don't put on a costume. My thoughts are scary enough. I hear someone ring the doorbell and rush down the stairs to greet whoever it is, most likely a trick-or-treater. I slam into someone and hit the floor with a hard thud.

"Ah shit!" I exclaim. I look up, expecting to see my parents or Tate, or even that weird girl next door, but I see a total stranger.
"How.....how did you get in here?" Asks the mysterious stranger.
"I live here dickhead, how did you get in?" This is really getting weird.
"No one's lived here in a long time, and I'm sure you know why," he says.

Someone bangs on the door again. The guy goes to answer it, leaving me confused on the floor. A girl walks in and stands over me. "Well shit Kyle, you were right."

I stand up, finally. "What the fuck are you guys talking about?" I question.

They look at each other, before the guy, Kyle, answers. "You're Violet Harmon. You disappeared after your parents both died and no one knew what happened to you, or your brother for that matter."

"Listen, you guys must be high or something because my parents are alive and I don't even have a brother." I pause to breathe. "Now if you wouldn't mind getting the FUCK out of my house, thank you very much."

I can tell by the looks on their faces that they're not going to leave. I sigh and sit down on the staircase. Just then, I hear the doorbell ring again.

"See," Kyle starts, "we're having a Halloween party tonight. Because technically, no one lives here except a bunch of ghosts. I invited you last night if that makes things better," he says while running a hand through his hair. He wasn't bad looking, but I had Tate.

"This is a terrible idea." But that doesn't stop me from opening the door to tonight's 'guests.'