37. This is the End

*A/N this is not the actual end, I just needed a title

VIOLET

We stand outside of the red-bricked house with our hands clasped together. This is it. Together we step forward, into the grasp of the house. And my newly working heart keeps beating in my chest, and I know if I were to cut myself, a deep gash on the wrist, blood would gush instead of trickling out lazily. But see, this makes me vulnerable, and it's not a good thing to be vulnerable. Not here. And as we get closer to the door, it opens slowly, as if to tell us that the house has been waiting for us all this time. I have no doubt that this is where Laurel is, and where all the other ghosts are. Because sooner or later, we all must return.

Tate's hand is sweaty in mine, but I clutch it tighter. He turns to look at me. "Remember the day you moved in?" He asks. "I watched you go from room to room, and you looked so broken. That's when I knew you had to be mine."
"Tate, you're creeping me out. Let's find Laurel and enjoy the rest of the day," I plead. As if on cue, someone screams from the basement. A high pitched, girlish scream. Tate wastes no time in crossing the distance between the front door and the basement, dragging me with him. I steel myself and head downstairs. Immediately I clap my hand over my nose. It smells like rotting meat down here. I walk with my arms outstretched trying to find the light. I trip over something. I take a lighter out of my pocket and when I see, that's when I know. This is the end.