Stay With Me

"I need you to stay," Percy begged. He begged. He cried and he begged, but the Hero of Olympus had only sympathy from the one he had saved, once.

He had saved so many, but none of them offered their help to him.

"Please," he whispered brokenly. His fingers brushed her bruised cheek gently. "You need to stay with me. Stay with me."

Sympathy garnered him a few moments more, but stone hearts were not moved by tears, and gods were not kind to heroes.

"You-" Percy didn't have the words. There wasn't a person smart enough on this planet- not a poet gifted enough- that had the words. A tear dropped onto her hair.

"You remind me of who I am." Tartarus had sent him into the darkest parts of himself and it was her laugh that pulled him out. That stayed the invisible hold of evil on him, that held back the tempest only children of the sea could have.

It was her name that kept him from floating in the soulless abyss of the River Styx, her eyes that he saw every time he closed his own, even when his memories were stolen by the very gods who now stood by, without raising a hand to help him.

They would break him, but an immortal would never save him.

"You're my heart," he touched his forehead to hers. "You're my everything."

Hearts did not outlast the swords demigods bore, and everything was taken away from those who offered everything in service.

He felt the moments end, he felt her soul leave. And he screamed.

But gods' ears are closed to the cries of the broken and the pleas of the fallen. They only hear the glories of the victor.

Percy had saved them so many times, but he had lost this once. Not the battle, not the war,- Olympus would stand another day, with its careless gods and parties- but his humanity.

And what was a hero without its reason to live?

Thanatos collected her soul and Percy broke.

Some souls could not survive without their other piece, and Percy Jackson had a soul that had intertwined itself with love for and from Annabeth.

Let the gods fall. Their savior was an ignored whisper to them, and he would save them no more.

"Welcome to Elysium, Annabeth Chase and Percy Jackson."