Word Showdown

There are many words that writers can get confused on. Here's a list of some!

Then vs. Than - "Then" is used to add on another action to a sentence. "Than" is used to measure how better or worse something is. Example: "First, you'll do a solo hunt and then you'll hunt with your partner." "Why is she better than me?"

It's vs Its - "It's" is a contraction of 'it is'. "Its" is the possession of It. "Look at that dog! It's so cute!" "The dog wagged its tail happily."

Your vs You're - "Your" is the possession of you. "You're" is the contraction for 'you are'. "I love your shoes!" "You're a really good singer."

To vs Too vs Two - "To" is sort of like a preposition. "Too" is used in addition, or to imply something is a higher degree than you want. "Two" is the number 2. "You have to get this done." "There is too much food." "I'll need two pencils."

There vs Their vs They're - "There" implies the position of something. "Their" implies possession, and "they're" is a contraction of 'they are'. "The robber is right there!" "That red car belongs to their sister." "They're taking down the posters tomorrow."

ThunderClan are brave vs ThunderClan is brave - This is more subjective. If a Clan is a group of cats, that technically makes it plural. Even the books would use "are". However, using the name for a singular group means you're allowed to use "is". Really, it's up to you.

Leaped vs Leapt - Both are right. Choose whichever.

Among vs Amongst - Again, both are right.

Shined vs Shone - Both are right, but they're not interchangeable. "Shined" is used for more important things in the story, including the sun or moon. "Shone" is used for more useless things to the story. "Her eyes shined with excitement." "The sun shone on the rocks all day."