Pacing

What is pacing? Pacing is basically how fast or slow you move the story along. This doesn't mean that short stories are automatically fast-paced and long stories are slow-paced though. A short story can drag on and a long story can whiz by. Most of the time, pacing in a story is not equal. The exposition and rising action may be a little slow and stretched out, while the climax and falling action goes by quick.

Pacing all comes down to one thing: How many details do you explain?

A story in general should be paced fairly, not too fast or not too slow. In this case, that means we explain what's important and just a little bit more. Talking about too much makes the story drag on, being too straightforward is too fast. Here's a hyperbolic example of fast pacing:

Rusty joins ThunderClan and becomes Firepaw. He trains for a while and then helps drive Brokenstar out of ShadowClan.

Imagine this being the entire book of Into the Wild. It flashed by extremely quickly, right? The story went by in only two sentences.

A hyperbolic example of slow pacing would be better to explain than show, since a pace that slow would make too long of an example! Let's say you're writing a slow-paced story. In contrast to fast pacing, you would take very long amounts of time to explain very little things, such as taking an entire chapter to describe a character.