Punctuation

In this section, we'll talk about six pieces of punctuation: The period, exclamation point, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, and hyphen.

Periods, as you already know, are the most basic way to end a sentence. They're for sentences that aren't trying to be really exciting.

Rainpaw was the next to pick her prey. She settled on a small sparrow.

Exclamation points end sentences that are supposed to be exciting! They grab your attention!

Rainpaw couldn't wait to pick her prey! She was starving.

Commas are the most common way to add a pause. They can be used in a variety of ways. On the subject of commas, you might want to know what the "Oxford Comma" is. The Oxford Comma is the final comma you write when listing off things.

Rainpaw was next to pick her prey, and she ended up settling on a small sparrow.Rainpaw could choose from a mouse, a sparrow, and a squirrel.

Colons mainly start off a list of things. They can also add a bit of suspense to the sentence.

Rainpaw had three choices: a mouse, a sparrow, and a squirrel.

Semicolons can divide and add a pause to a sentence that can otherwise be divided by a period.

Rainpaw was the next to pick her prey; she settled on a small sparrow.The dash and hyphen are similar, but they have different purposes. A dash is a long line, used to add pauses in the sentence in place of parentheses or commas. They are either written as [--], [ - ] or the program you're writing in elongates a hyphen. The hyphen is the shorter line, used to connect words. It's written as [-].Rainpaw--who was starving--quickly settled on a small sparrow when it was her turn to pick her prey.Rainpaw's choices were a half-decaying mouse, a sparrow, and a squirrel.