Chapter 59. Battlecries

Astrid tried to call out, tried to yell, shout, scream, but Lucius hooked his hand firmly around her mouth, muffling her sorrow. She knew it was coming of course, Harry had explicitly said he was to go there and die, it was the only way, Severus had hinted to something of the same before. The boy must die. But the reality of it was horrific, seeing the boys body laying there on the forest floor. Astrid was so wound up with Harry she had barely noticed the Dark Lord flat on his back now a few feet from her and Lucius.

            "My Lord... My Lord..." Bellatrix whispered worriedly, pressing her shaking hands to his chest. "Are you hurt?"

            "I don't need your help!" Voldemort proclaimed, pushing himself up and away from Bellatrix's clutches. He got to his feet and shoved Bellatrix to the ground harshly, his eyes firmly resting on the body of the boy. His death eaters gathered close, all watching the unmoving body on the forest floor. Lucius stifled Astrids sobs, bringing her into his chest he hushed her gently, stroking down her hair he kissed her upon the forehead.

            Narcissa strode by, her eyes briefly glancing over Lucius and Astrid, taking in the way her ex-husband wrapped himself around the girl protectively, the way he caressed her. He had ignored the Dark Lords explicit order to stay away to be by her side, to hold her in his arms. She felt a sting of jealousy, and then calmness, as she realised, she would not risk the Dark Lords wrath for him, nor he for her. She saw what her and Lucius had was not love, not love like theirs at least, it was a marriage of convenience, a partnership, a business deal. She hoped one day she would find in a man what Lucius found in Astrid. With a trembling heart Narcissa crunched through the undergrowth towards Harry Potter.

            "The boy..." Bellatrix's wide eyes fell on Harry.

            Everyone gathered in anticipation, as Narcissa cautiously bent down to the boy who lived. The woods filled with nervous breaths, no one able to take their eyes from the scene. Astrid pulled away from Lucius' chest and crawled forward onto her knees,

            "Get away from him!" Astrid cried, taking a fistful of the forest floor she fell forward with a sob. The Dark Lord sneered at her outburst, but chose to ignore it. Doubled over her stomach flipped violently, threatening to be sick once again. She held it back, she would not show weakness, not now. She would be strong, and brave, like Harry.

            Narcissa slowly rose to her feet, turning towards her audience.

            "Dead."

______________

            Hagrid carried Harry solemnly across the bridge, bound by strong ropes, held by equally strong death eaters. The parade of black made its way into the Hogwarts courtyard. Lucius supported Astrid's weight, wrapping an arm around her waist and holding her elbow firmly, guiding her with the rest of the procession.

            "Where's Everly?" Lucius asked, his voice trembling with worry. Astrid swallowed.

            "Safe, with Madam Pomfrey..." Astrid squeaked. She hoped they were safe. But looking at the state of the castle, crumbling and in ruin, as they traipsed across the bridge, she had doubts that ate away inside her. Her legs wobbled with each step, she told herself 'be strong, be brave' but still her legs shook and trembled. She spied the snake up ahead, at Voldemort's side... and she felt the basilisk tooth in her pocket. She wanted to jump at it right then and there, grasp it like a dagger and stab at the snake with all her might. But she knew she'd be dead before she even reached it. No, she'd have to bide her time, choose the perfect moment....

            Injured students and staff trickled out of the castle's great door; their eyes wide as they spotted Hagrid cradling a body in his arms.