Chapter 39. Worse than Death

The wedding was beautiful, especially Fleur, in her white and black gown with her black headdress. It was the closest thing to a fairy-tale in these trying times. Tonks tucked into a plate of food beside Astrid.

"Do you want some?" Tonks offered.

"No, thank you... I'm not hungry," Astrid smiled. She smoothed out the skirt of her dress, the one Tonks had chosen out for her. It was a red chiffon dress with a cowl neckline, little spaghetti straps that crossed over on her back and a floaty hemline that reached a couple of inches above her knee. Tonks had made her wear her hair up in an undone French twist, with some waves spilling out if it, framing her face. Tonks had also practically held Astrid down to put a red lip on her full pout, which she borrowed from fleurs makeup collection.

"Literally don't understand why you think red isn't your colour, it really is," Tonks said with a mouth full of food.

"I feel ridiculous, I just... I feel really bold,"

"As you should be, look at you," Tonks wolf whistled after swallowing her food, causing Astrid to blush awkwardly.

"Stop it, you're embarrassing me," Astrid whined sheepishly.

"Is my wife causing you bother Astrid?" Lupin asked as she stepped up to Tonks side.

"When is she not?" Astrid smirked, "Excuse me whilst I grab a drink," Astrid sighed, slinking off to the champagne table where she took a small glass.

"Astrid Moody? Is that really you?" A French accent beckoned her from behind. Astrid turned around to face the elegantly tall Madame Maxime, her old headmistress.

"Yes, headmistress," Astrid forced a smile, she knew exactly how this conversation was going to go.

"Look at how you've blossomed, you were always a pretty little thing, but you're a beautiful young woman now, I hear you're a mother too," Olympe said clasping her hands together gleefully. A lump grew in Astrid's throat and her stomach flipped as her headmistress spoke.

"Yes," Astrid breathed, "I am."

"Where is the little one?" The Madame asked, looking around.

"Not here," Astrid sighed with a forced smile.

"Ah yes, I hear child free nights are quite the blessing when your family is young," Madame Maxime commented... unknowing to her, the words she spoke were like daggers to Astrid's heart. She'd happily never have a child free night again if it meant being reunited with her daughter.

"Your husband must be quite the catch... that is some ring!" Madame gasped, capturing Astrid's hand and analysing the emerald ring on her finger.

"Er, yes, he is," Astrid took a large swing of her champagne.

"Where is he? I must meet this gentleman!" She purred, looking around.

"He is also... not here," Astrid swallowed sadly, she couldn't force the happy charade anymore. Madame Maxime caught onto her mood change and patted the girls shoulder.

"I'm sure I will meet him, when the time is right," She smiled warmly at her ex-student before disappearing into the crowd to mingle with the other party guests. As everyone gathered around the dance floor to watch the fist dance, Astrid pushed towards the back of the tent where the walkway to the house was.

"Where do you think you're going?" Fred teased, spinning Astrid around as

"It's the first dance! Don't want to miss Bill mess up his feet," George laughed.