Chapter 5

'Do you think we are on the right track Pedro?' Bullet asked Pedro who was perched comfortably on Alfie's shoulder with his eyes closed as they walked towards the harbor.

'Yes,' Pedro opened his right eye for a moment to check the road and then shut it again. 'Last night at the bar, I heard one of the pilots telling his friend that he is flying to Alaska this morning with an important consignment,' Pedro replied.

'Did you hear what time he was flying?' Alfie asked to check if they were on time.

'No. But I believe if we hurry, we might catch the seaplane,' Pedro replied.

'Where in Alaska is he going?' Alfie prodded further.

'That I do not know. But since we have to go to the North Pole, reaching Alaska first is necessary.' Pedro replied.

'But...,' Alfie tried to protest but he was cut midway by Bullet 'Do not worry Alfie, Pedro will figure it out once we are in Alaska. When we have the wise one with us we do not have to worry about anything.'

'That's my boy,' Pedro beamed.

'I guess so,' Alfie replied with a weak smile.

After stealing the map from the library, Alfie and Bullet had slept on a bench in the public park. However, Pedro, who used to sleep during the day, flew around gathering information that might help them prepare for their long journey. Once the sun was up the trio started towards the harbor from where they could board a plane to Alaska.

'We are almost at the harbor and I see some fifty or more seaplanes docked,' Alfie squinted at the harbor, dazzling under the rays of the rising sun. 'Which one are we looking for?'

The harbor was located near a small fishing village a few miles away from Bayville. Most fishermen as well as local pilots stopped here to refuel and to grab a bite or a drink. There were a couple of cafes, small eateries, bars, and shops that sold souvenirs and groceries near the dockyard. Numerous ramps helped people walk towards the docked boats and seaplanes.

As Alfie scanned the shore, Pedro suddenly flew off towards a small girl playing in the sand. He swooped down and grabbed a pair of sunglasses that lay beside her. The girl did not notice as she was busy building a sandcastle. Pedro flew back to Alfie and perched on his shoulder after putting on the sunglasses.

'Why did you do that?' Alfie asked surprised.

'Because my dear friend, Owls cannot see clearly in daylight. This temporary fix will help me see in broad daylight too,' Pedro replied.

Alfie and Bullet exchanged surprised glances and shook their heads disapprovingly. 'Not Cool,' said Alfie. 'Yeah... not done,' Bullet chipped in.

'What!' Pedro hovered over them as Alfie and Bullet walked ahead, 'Come on, I will make it up to her someday.'

Alfie stopped and looked at the girl who was still busy building her sandcastle. Bullet also stopped and looked at Alfie and Pedro.

'Listen, I need this to help us reach the North Pole.' Pedro said perching on Alfie's shoulder.

'I think Pedro is right,' Bullet said thinking for a moment.

'Hmmm... whatever,' Alfie smirked and walked ahead.

'Look, that is the guy I saw at the bar last night! Follow him,' Pedro pointed to a tall, bald, muscular man with dark skin who was carrying a huge wooden box on his shoulder.

Alfie jogged up to the man and said, 'Excuse me, sir.' The man turned around and asked, 'Did you call me, sonny?'

'Yes, Sir,' said Alfie.