51 - I killed him

Začať od začiatku

'How do we find out if Kieran is still alive?'

'I don't-'

'So, you've heard?'

We all turn to the door where Kenny has appeared. He looks worn out. I'm guessing he must have had friends at the outpost too.

'Come on, to the main hall. We're getting the official word.'

He doesn't wait for us to come, but sets off right away. I help Pamela up and Alex and I both support her as we make our way to the main hall.

'Who do you know at the outpost?' I ask her as we walk.

'Michelle', she says, sounding dumbfounded. 'Used to work with me in laundry for a while, before she became a Savior. And... and... and Liam! He had Kenny's job before he was transferred. He was a good man.'

Pamela doesn't cry, but she walks like she's in a daze. I look worriedly over her head at Alex who looks just as concerned.

'Maybe they made it', I tell her. 'We don't know what happened yet.'

Alex frowns like he doesn't believe that for a second. When we get to the main hall, the atmosphere is chilling. Obviously, word has spread. We can hear people crying and some people start to panic, but Saviors shut them down. Many people know people at the outpost, of course. Friends, family, lovers... We stay at the edge of the room and scan the crowd for our friends.

'We need to tell them that Kieran wasn't there. That he might be all right.'

Alex nods, but looks down at Pamela. 'We can't leave her on her own.'

I agree, she's still in a state of shock. I look around the room and thankfully, I spot Megan. I wave at her and she comes over.

'Pamela isn't taking the news too well', I tell her. 'Can you keep an eye on her?'

'Of course', she says, taking Pamela over from us. 'Are you all right?'

'I don't know yet', I answer truthfully. Then Alex and I jump into the crowd, searching for our friends. But before we can find them, Negan announces his presence at the balustrade and we have no choice but to end our search and get down on our knees.

Negan looks over the crowd with an angry expression on his face before he confirms what we already heard. Everybody at the satellite outpost has been killed. Murdered in their sleep. Negan promises us they will find out who's behind this. And that they will be sorry. Then he disappears.

When he's done, we get up quickly to find the others, but before we can move far, a Savior grabs my arms.

'I'm gonna need you to come with me', Fat Joey tells me.

'I haven't done anything', I say, glaring at him.

'You really want to be difficult right now?' he asks in a bored tone.

Alex nudges me. 'Go, I'll find the others.'

I nod and follow Fat Joey, who brings me to Negan's room. My thoughts go in every direction. What would Negan possibly want to discuss with me right now? He can't think I have anything to do with this can he? But mostly my thoughts are on Kieran. Is he alive? Can he be? My questions are answered when Fat Joey opens the door to Negan's room.

I stop in my tracks when I catch his eye. He's here! Kieran is sitting in one of Negan's armchairs. He looks exhausted but very much alive and offers me a tiny smile when he looks at me.

'Thank you, Fat Joey', Negan says. He's on his couch, opposite of Kieran and of Simon, who takes up the other armchair. Since I haven't moved after spotting Kieran, Fat Joey shoves me out of the doorway into the room.