Chapter 7: Don't Be Afraid

Su Qiuzi listened to the light footsteps running towards the kitchen. Not long after, the footsteps stopped at the kitchen door and a tall and pretty girl looked in.

She was the daughter of Miao Hualing and Lian Xiaoqing and He Yu’s half-sister, Lian Junyin. She was 16 years old, currently in her senior year, and had just returned from piano lessons.

Lian Junyin and He Yu were born from the same mother, so it was obvious that their appearance was somewhat similar. Both siblings’ pupils were deep, but each gave off a completely different feeling. Lian Junyin’s eyes were as clear and translucent as black grapes, while He Yu’s eyes were as deep as the sea.

After arriving at the kitchen door, Junyin didn’t come in and just stood in the doorway, observing Su Qiuzi with eyes full of curiosity. She had fair skin and a few small freckles dotting her cheeks. It made her appear boyish and delicate. 

“Yinyin, it is impolite to stare at others like that.” Miao Hualing chided.

“Huh?” Lian Junyin looked up at her mother, then looked down at Su Qiuzi again, and retorted, “I’m not looking at an outsider, sister-in-law is not an outsider.” 

Originally, she was so nervous from her gaze that, after listening to her words, Su Qiuzi developed countless good feelings towards her as a niece.

As a child who grew up under the loving care and protection of her parents, she perceived the world as pure and white. She didn’t know how to be on guard, nor would she be intrigued. She was so clean that people could not help but want to be nice to her.

It was said that the poor raised their sons and the rich raised their daughters, and Lian Junyin was the daughter of the rich. She was now 16 years old, had already a developed figure and, from behind, looked about the same height as Su Qiuzi. However, she was still like a child at heart, with the playfulness of a young daughter. She joked with her mother, and was spoiled by her father, as ignorant and innocent as a blank sheet of paper.

Dinner was ready and everyone ate together in the dining room. The dinner atmosphere was lively and cordial with Lian Junyin present. Su Qiuzi ate somewhat absent-mindedly. It seemed like she had never eaten in such an atmosphere before.

Before, in the Su family, she used to sit in the corner and listen to the three members of the Su family talk about what award Su Ai had won, what they were going to buy Su Ai as a reward and how they were going to celebrate it.

Su Qiuzi and Su Ai were half-sisters, but their feelings were very different from those of He Yu and Lian Junyin. Not only did Junyin accept He Yu, but he also accepted her. In their family’s hearts, both He Yu and she were their relatives. Su Ai, on the other hand, treated her as an outsider and looked down on her, even wishing her to disappear from her sight.

It was said that a rich adopted daughter and the daughter of a rich family had nothing in common with each other. (idiom)

The topic on the table soon became about a weekend arrangement, and Lian Junyin took a tissue and wiped her mouth. She turned to Miao Hualing and said, “The piano teacher said she has something to do that weekend, so I don’t have to go that day. Can I go horse riding on Sunday?”

Hearing his daughter’s words, Lian Xiaoqing looked at her helplessly and said, ”Why do you keep thinking about riding horses? Yinyin, your mother will be busy on Sunday. I’ll go with you instead.”

“Then I don’t want to. Dad, you don’t know how to ride a horse, you just want me to carry you. I need  someone to accompany me.” After Lian Junyin finished speaking, she turned to look at He Yu with a plea in her voice. “Brother, you must go with me.”