Chapter 2 - Welcome to the Pack

Start from the beginning

I'm sorry, I can't. I don't want to come out. A whipper came from inside her. In that moment her animal went into a deep slumber inside her, shutting her out completely. Not wanting to face the reality that was before them both, and most of all not risking Sirena's safety. It was darker than it had ever been inside herself, she felt alone, disconnected. She clenched her heart as she felt herself breaking, bones shifting and settling.

Within minutes Cedric's pack arrived, drawn by her howl. She heard the gasps and someone barked that she was responsible and to kill her. She almost wished they would, she had nothing left.

"No! That's Sirena, I meet her today I recognize the scent." A familiar voice sounded, a figure standing between her and the advancing pack. He was shielding her.

"Gail?" She questioned as the tears finally flowed down her face. "This can't be happening..."

She trailed off before pulling her hood up and over the half of her face that was now deformed, her claw like hands clinging to the material. Gail spun around and knelt next to her, his hand resting on her back. "Are you hurt?" He questioned.

She shook her head. "Cedric..." She whispered.

At some point she was taken back to the pack's den. She was accepted in without question and given a room of her own.

Things moved so fast the next couple of days as they held several funerals for the fallen, Cedric's included. She didn't pay much attention to the people that introduced themselves, not many people wanted much to do with her given her current condition.

Time began to pass and she grew used to living in the pack. She was mostly useless, so she did her best to help with the everyday chores, cleaning, washing, and food prep. Anything really so she wouldn't be kicked out, that fear always nagged at her, every day. They last thing she wanted was for the snow leopards to find her, at least here she was safe. It's what Cedric would have wanted as well. She kept her head down, did what others asked her to do and retired to her room every night.

Days turned into weeks and weeks into months, before she knew it she was waking up one morning to find it was her birthday. A small note had been slid under her door, opening it she saw it was from Gail. He'd been kind to her and basically taking her under his wing. Inside it read 'Happy 21st birthday, there's a small get together tonight to celebrate! 7pm sharp in the meeting hall be there!! xo Gail.'

She frowned, a party for her? Living in a pack really wasn't as bad as she once thought it could be. Pulling on her hooded jacket she covered her face and went about her daily chores.

The kitchen was first on her list, but the cook kicked her out as they were making her birthday cake. She laughed nervously as she was pushed out the door, was this really happening? She normally kept to herself and people were fusing over her? It felt strange.

Next, she thought she would try the laundry room, most of the pack washed their own clothes, but often things were dropped off for repairing and stain removal, since blood was a pain to get out yourself. Thankfully she wasn't kicked out of there, so she sat and began mending some dresses.

"Oh wow, is that a new dress?" She heard one woman say to another that was outside the room.

"Oh no, it's an old one, I asked Sirena if she could liven it up for me, that girl is an absolute gem, a little quiet though." Sirena ignored the banter not really caring if they were talking good or bad about her, she just minded her own business.

"The girl really has a talent, she should charge, that's amazing!" The voices continued but Sirena only heard mumbles.

"I know, I suggested as much but she just kind of zoned out, I don't think she'd quiet all there."

"Oh, the poor thing, I can't imagine. She's such a sweet thing too, hopefully tonight we can all show her how grateful we are to have her here."

She women's voices faded as they moved away, Sirena enjoyed the peace and quiet it brought. But soon she was done and had to wonder off to find something else to occupy her hands and mind.

She started cleaning rooms that had their doors open, it was a system the pack had developed for her. She had asked when the best time to clean rooms would be and not everyone could give an exact time. She'd make the bed, sweep the floor and tidy the bathrooms.

Before long she was done for the day, but it was only lunch time... Damn I was hoping it was later. Returning to her room she picked up her book she was currently reading. She grabbed a couple of sandwiches from outside the kitchen, since she still wasn't allowed in and made her way to the stream just outside the pack's den. She was so engrossed in her book that she hadn't notice someone sitting next to her until he spoke.

"That interesting, huh?" His voice was the deep and husky, if she'd been interested in men she'd have found it irresistible for sure.

"Getting lost in a book helps me forget the world." She retorted without letting her eyes leave the page.

"And you have a lot to escape from?" He asked, a curious tone, not mocking.

"There is no escape, I accept that. It's more of a distraction." She was conversing with a pack member rather easily she realized. No one really tried to hold a conversation with her before... or is that because her replies were normally short? Or maybe she wasn't paying enough attention?

"And what do you need to be distracted from my dear?" His way of speaking was reminding her of the way Cedric used to speak to her.

"The harshness of life, living, whatever you can think of along those lines." Her gaze was still skimming the pages paying him little to no mind. But she did adjust her hood slightly so he could only see the hair falling out from under the fabric, hiding the deformity from site.

"Ah, life can be hard sometimes, I agree. I find it best to set a purpose or goal for the day and that can make it a little less... well harsh. Even if it is as simple as going outside without the hood on." He incurred.

She snort laughed. "Easy for you to say, bet your as handsome as one can be."

She felt him lean closer. "You won't know unless you lo-"

"ALPHA!" He was cut off by a male's shout in the distance.

She felt him sigh, he was that close. He got up and ran toward the voice. "What is it?" He asked.

Her eyes shot up, Alpha? The Alpha was just with her?

She spun around searching but couldn't see anyone anywhere, she was alone. What just happened? What had she done!