Ch 42: The Bad Batch

"The droids have overrun our main production facility" I said looking at the map. "It won't be long before the Separatists take Anaxes, compromising our entire reserve fleet."

"Excuse me, General, Rex has a good theory on why we keep, uh- losing?" Gree said as he and Rex walked towards Anakin and I.

"Rex" I said. "Explain this theory."

"The droid army uses analytics to predict our strategy. The first time we use a tactic, it's very effective. The next, less so" Rex said. "In fact, the more we use a certain tactic, the less effective it becomes. They learn our tendencies and use that data against us. To counter them, we're constantly working out ways to vary our attack."

I glanced at Anakin before sighing.

"But the losses we are experiencing on Anaxes are not commonplace" I said.

"Exactly" he said. "The counterattacks are so specific, it's my strategy the droids know, my playbook."

"My concern is that Rex is one of our best. If the droids can learn to defeat him, we may all be vulnerable" Gree said.

"So what do you propose?" I asked.

"Let Rex and me take a small squad behind enemy lines" he said. "There's a Separatists cyber center which relays all battlefield intel to their command ship. If we're going to find anything, it will be there."

"If you truly think it will help turn this fight around, get going, Gree" I said.

"Thank you, General" Rex said.

I nodded, turning to Anakin.

"Rex, is there anything else?" He asked.

"No, General" Rex said.

Gree and Rex walked away as I leaned against the console.

"What was that all about?" I asked.

"Nothing" he said.

"It's not nothing" I said. "Don't lie to me."

"Rex has been acting differently" he said.

"Not long ago, he lost Fives" I said. "And before that Echo. I know what it's like losing someone close to you, it's not fun. Maybe it's just the grief taking over."

"That's what I'm afraid of" he said. "Look what it did to you, a fully trained Jedi."

I brushed off his comment as a day had passed as Anakin, Rex, the Bad Batch leader and myself walked onto the hangar.

"Word is the general staff isn't completely behind this mission" Hunter said.

"I admit the idea that Echo is still alive is a long shot" Rex said.

"I'm sure the Council will approve the mission" Anakin said to me.

"Alls it takes is a little convincing from me and we're solid" I said. "Just remember the primary goal is to learn how the Separatists are predicting our strategy, whether it's Echo behind it or not."

"Well, if you want my opinion, sounds like a trap but me and the boys will tag along anyway, if only to say 'I told you so'" Hunter said.

"Just make sure you're ready if we get the go ahead from General Kenobi" Anakin said.

"If you're certain he'll approve the mission, why wait? Let's get going" Rex said.

"First, we have that thing to do" he said.

"What thing?" I asked.

"You know" he said.

"We don't have time for that" I said.