Ch 8: Getting Help

I glanced at Ahsoka smiling.

"I can still sense your worry for Anakin, your attachment to him" I said.

"It's just- I get so confused sometimes. It's forbidden for Jedi to form attachments yet we are supposed to be compassionate" she said.

"Trust me when I say it is nothing to be ashamed of. I had the same issue" I said.

"Really, you?" She asked.

I nodded.

"Yes. My master was like a father to me, still is" I said. "I see myself having the same problem with Cal. But just because one has these attachments, doesn't mean they are a bad Jedi. For some it clouds their judgment but for others it makes them even stronger."

She smiled as we continued on. We approached the tree drawn onto the piece of wood as Gree looked around.

"I don't see any sign of life" he said.

I looked up as a large circular object fell.

"Watch out!" I yelled holding my hand out, pushing Gree out of the way.

I looked around realizing there were tracks.

"There is life here, intelligent enough to use these pods for something" I said. "We need to follow that trail."

Running down the trail we came across a field of tall grass. Russling was heard as creatures jumped out. Grabbing my sabers, Gree began shooting scaring them off.

"Cameron's dead" he said. "So are Lucky and Flesh."

I kneeled down to Lucky putting my hand in his helmet.

"We have to keep moving" I said.

Finally we arrived at the village.

"Pod central. We made it" Ahsoka said.

Slowly we approached the life forms as they looked scared. An elderly one came forward on a cane.

"What have you come here for?" He asked.

"We mean no harm. We are Jedi from the Galactic Republic" I said. "Our ship crashed a few miles away and one of us is badly injured. We need your help."

"Violence breeds violence" he said. "Jedi are no peacekeepers."

I looked down at my sabers, sighing.

"We're fighting for freedom" Ahsoka said.

"And freedom and peace require fear and death?" He said. "We colonized this system to find solace from your wretched war. We came here to find peace. You must leave. You will only destroy what small amount of peace is left in the galaxy. You will only bring the destruction of us."

"Regardless of the Clone Wars and our part in them, we still need your help" I said.

"I'm afraid I must do what's best for my people" he said. "We cannot help you."

"Please" I said. "At least medical supplies of some kind. Someone I care about deeply will die."

"I cannot ignore a plea for help" he said. "I will send my son Wag Too to help your friend. He is a healer. But only one Jedi may go with him. The other must stay as insurance. We wouldn't want a surprise attack on our village or the kidnapping of our only healer."

I nodded looking at Ahsoka.

"Gree and I will stay" I said. "Go back with Anakin."

"I mean-" she started.

"Go" I said. "Go help your master."

"No the clone cannot stay with his blaster. He will go with the youngling" he said.

"Be mindful of your surroundings" I said. "Those creatures are still out there."

"I will" she said running off.

I turned to the leader of the village as he motioned for me to follow him. I sat down in the pod as he walked over to a table.

"Here, it will restore your energy" he said handing my a cup.

"I don't entirely disagree with you" I said. "We're meant to be peacekeepers but sometimes I feel we are doing the opposite. But I'm sure you know we did not initiate this war. Our intention is to end it, to keep peace within the galaxy."

"What difference does it make who started the war and who only wants to end it?" He said. "No side is free of fault. It takes two to fight."

"But don't you feel liberty is worth fighting for?" I asked.

"But is it worth killing for?" He responded. "Fighting for something doesn't necessarily mean you have to destroy everything in your path. Only when you lay your arms down and pursue a course of non-violence can you make this claim to me that the Jedi are peacekeepers."

I looked down, gripping the cup before taking a sip. About an hour later Ahsoka returned with Anakin on a makeshift stretcher. I ran towards them kneeling down. I smiled as he slowly opened his eyes putting his hand to my cheek. I grabbed his hand putting it back to his side.

"Anakin" I whispered.

He opened his eyes more as the people surrounded him.

"Uhh" he said.

They brought him inside one of the pods as I sat outside looking over the village with Ahsoka.

"You were right, Luna" she said.

"For what?" I asked.

"If I had stayed with Anakin, we probably wouldn't have found this village in time to save him. At least this whole ordeal is over now" she said.

"We still need to get off this planet but at least he is alive" I said.

"You have an attachment to him?" She asked.

I smiled at the young girl.

"I do" I said. "Practically grew up together, spent lots of restless night and days with him."

She smiled as I turned back to the village.

"You remind me of him very much. That's probably why they had him be your master" I said.

"Is that why Cal was assigned to you?" She asked.

"I think it was because they knew Mace couldn't handle being a master again" I smiled. "Cal, Mace and I are the only Jedi in history to get purple kyber crystals. That is one of the main reasons he became my master."

"I don't think Master Windu likes me very much" she said.

"He's a very serious person" I said. "Doesn't really show much emotion."

"Everytime he's around you he smiles though" she said.

"He didn't want me as a padawan at first. He was very cold with me, never wanting to talk only if necessary" I said. "Everything changed when we were sent to my home planet to protect my uncle. He risked the whole mission and my uncle getting killed to save my life."

"I was one of the younglings you saved when pirates attacked the ship" she said.

I sat there trying to recall the memory.

"I wanted to be like you when I got older" she said.

"You don't want to be like me" I said.

I stood up walking away as she slowly followed.