Arc 3: Chapter 3: Heroes They Are

Start from the beginning

[Artwork by Mari Ohalloween#8391]

I promptly went downstairs and Severus's face when he saw me had me chuckle. His mind was spiralling out of control with thoughts none of which he could articulate.

"You could say I look nice." I teased.

"You do." he choked out. 

"I'll get more out of you later. There's one place I want to check out." I said as we prepared to apparate away.

*****

With a snap, we apparated right into the centre of Hogsmeade. Now being in an entirely different part of the United Kingdom, the sky was painted a bright blue and the sun shone with all of its rays hitting the Earth below. It was significantly warmer than in Spinner's End and I felt more relieved every moment I had chosen lighter attire. Severus, on the other hand, was trying his best to hide his overheating but he would never admit he was mistaken for it. 

We began to walk through the High Street until we arrived outside a store that was recognisable from the last time I went in during the Christmas present fiasco. Just as before, the bookstore was empty when I poked my head in which gave the appearance that it didn't make much money. Severus and I went inside and a small bell rang out. A youthful boy came out from the back and stood by the counter.

"Oh, a customer?" he said with mild astonishment. "What can I get you?"

"I was wondering if you have anything about the Amulet of Ylgind?" I asked respectfully but I didn't hold my breath for much of an outcome.

He leant on the counter for a moment as he was deep in thought. "Aren't you the one Grandpa gave that book away to?" he asked curiously. 

"I suppose so." I replied. "He said it was out of his personal collection." 

The boy went into the back room for a while. I looked at Severus with mild suspicion that he wasn't going to come back but just as we were beginning to consider leaving, he came back with a sizable tome.

"He left this to you." the boy said as he blew off the dust from the cover. 

"Left?"

"You didn't hear? Considering he wanted you to have something, I would have thought you knew. He passed away a few months ago. Now I run the place." the boy explained solemnly. Severus and I gave our mutual respects before the boy handed the book over.

The book itself was somewhat hefty to hold but the actual interior was relatively small. The title had since been washed away to an undecipherable standard over the tests of time. Carefully, I placed it on the table and opened the front page. Many of the words had also faded away. 

"I don't understand, why did he leave me this?" I asked.

"The old man was always saying he knew what was a puzzle and what wasn't. Perhaps he knew you'd come back looking for one. Even if it isn't related to that Amulet or whatever it was you said, it would do good of you to humour him." 

I nodded at him and continued to read through. At least, I tried to but the missing words made it feel like some broken English and it didn't help it was barely legible. After turning once more, I came to a page that was oddly well-preserved compared to the others. The words flowed perfectly as if imprinted with new ink. 

 The Goddess's Worship

In our kingdom, there is a woman known to all as Ylgind. By right of the divine, she was blessed with unlimited knowledge. If asked any question, she will know the answer. Whether it be the past, present, or future, she knows. Many men took her as a goddess and she rose to that status as she began to develop her worshippers. What should we plant this season to maximise the harvest? Is this man guilty of his crimes? Is it right to build this development? All fair questions she answered with earnest.