Arc 2: Chapter 10: Clarity

Arc Two: Delusional Reverie
Chapter Ten: Clarity

I groaned slightly and rubbed my eyes as a bright sunbeam hit my eyelids. Despite such an abrupt awakening from the blessings of early spring, I felt as if I had slept the best I ever had done. With the Hound and Ruberion gone, there was nothing left to worry about. The days of everyone at Hogwarts could return to normal for the first time in so long. At least, they could do so for me. For many of the students, they may not have realised that such dangers were going on to begin with. I was happy I could preserve their sanctuary of peace. 

Laying on my back, I stared blankly at the ceiling as my vision slowly came into focus. My arm reached up above me as if it was trying to grab something out of reach. Why do people do that? Was there something so therapeutic of knowing you weren't trapped by doing so? I let it fall back to the bedsheets below with a thud. Begrudgingly, I emerged from underneath the covers and came to my feet. My body had only just begun to iron out the dents I sustained from Ruberion so I was still a bit sluggish at times.

My mind felt so blank. For the first time, there was simply nothing to do. What was I supposed to do with all this free time? I wasn't being forced to study, speed through reading legislation or find and confront a killer so how could I make myself at all useful? 

Collecting the loose threads left from Ruberion could be one idea. I'd also like to see Severus today but he said he was experimenting on some sort of new idea for a potion and not to be disturbed until later. The first person to see would probably be Flitwick... After he was tortured, he wound up in the Hospital Wing and hasn't been discharged yet. Part of me fears he didn't know it wasn't really me. I owed it to him to set things right.

With that in mind, I performed my daily routine of getting ready and made my way to the first floor.

*****

Knowing what Ruberion had done to Flitwick left me incredibly nervous as I approached the large wooden doors that contained the Hospital Wing. Truthfully, I wasn't entirely sure if it was my right to see him and it caused me to pace back and forth right outside. It would keep eating at my conscience if I didn't do anything... With a deep breath, I pressed my hand to the door and slowly opened it. 

To my surprise, there were several students in the beds. With the turn of the season, hayfever was running ripe through its sufferers. They would have to avoid Herbology until Madam Pomfrey could give them a relief cure to let them come within ten feet of any of the medicinal flowers. Many of their faces turned to observe me as I walked through the aisle between the beds to find Flitwick. It took me a moment to realise why some of them were sniggering until I remembered the gossiping the Quidditch boy had told me before...

As I came to the last row of beds closest to Madam Pomfrey's office, I spotted the petit half-goblin sitting up in his bed reading an old book. What was I supposed to say to him? It's not like I could go up to him with a smile and a wave if he thought I was the one who tortured him. 

"Oh? Is that you, Cassandra?" his intrigued voice called out as he pushed his glasses back up his nose. Looks like I'll have to do this now or never...

I walked over and gave an awkward wave as I sat down on the chair next to him. Upon a closer look, he appeared a bit worse for wear but he was recovering well. "Filius, I-" I began to speak but he quickly interrupted.

"Relax, my girl. I can see the guilt pouring out of you!" he spoke kindly, patting my knee gently. "Albus told me everything."

"And you're not mad?" I asked for clarification a little forcefully.

He flaunted his hand in dismissal. "Of course not. It was not your fault in the slightest. Though, if it helps to calm you down, I forgive you; not that there is anything to forgive."