Arc 2: Chapter 5: Admiration

Arc Two: Delusional Reverie
Chapter Five: Admiration

I felt disgusted. Foul. Violated. Despite it only being a dream, his touch felt all real. Where Ruberion had grabbed my waist in the dance was sensitive as if it had been exposed. 

He said we had been talking long before tonight... The reason why my dreams had been missing is that he wasn't strong enough to make me retain those memories. But how is he getting stronger? What had the previous dreams been about? And...

My mind flashed back to the last words he said to me...

"I love you."

My cheeks began to burn uncontrollably. I shouldn't be feeling like this. And yet... he was so close...

I whacked myself in the face with my pillow to snap myself out of my stupid state. This isn't fair to Severus. 

Frustrated, I got out of bed and stood by the window to look at the grounds below. The sun had barely come up over the horizon. Hagrid was up early to take care of some of the magical creatures. He seemed to be carrying a large bucket of food into the Forbidden Forest. I sighed. No matter how beautiful the sunrise was, my mind couldn't be distracted.

"I guess I'm not going to be getting any more sleep... Damn you, Ruberion... The whole castle is probably still asleep..." An idea suddenly popped into my head. "Except the elves."

*****

Unsurprisingly, I didn't encounter a single soul on the way to the kitchens. Even Filch and Mrs Norris were fast asleep in their room. As before, I tickled the pear to reveal the entrance and made my way inside. 

Before I had stepped properly inside, I could already hear the sound of spoons clanging against metal bowls and the ovens on full blast. It looks like being a house elf doesn't end up providing breaks after all. The first thing I did see was Utsy on top of a pile of wooden boxes holding a stirrer ferociously.

"Utsy sees you slacking off! Get back to work!" Utsy let out at the same elf she lectured last time I was there. That one must have a pretty bad reputation for her to be so demanding.

"Careful, Utsy, or they'll start a mutiny." I joked halfheartedly as I joined her side. Despite being atop the boxes, she still didn't meet my height.

"Miss Juniper!" she yelled happily and accidentally dropped the stirrer. It fell to the floor with a thud and rolled away out of sight. "Utsy is so happy to see you! How was the food Utsy made you?"

"It was delicious, thank you." I told her, not having the heart to tell her we barely touched it and had to abandon it. "You are an amazing little chef."

She placed her hands on her cheeks and gave an embarrassed wave. "Utsy knows but what Utsy does not know is why Miss Juniper is awake at this time."

"I... had a bad dream. I couldn't get back to sleep so I thought I would come to see how you were." 

"Utsy is sorry to hear that. Utsy has just the thing for Miss Juniper." She jumped quite a height from the boxes. I went to try to catch her but she fell too quickly. Somehow, she was unbothered by the feat. Was she secretly a gymnast in her spare time?

Seconds later, she came back with a bowl of piping hot soup. It was the classic orange with small pieces of vegetables inside. How did she manage to make it so fast? I sat down at one of the benches, took it from her hands and took a spoonful of the liquid. It was amazing and helped to wash away the exhaustion that was in my joints. I thanked her for the excellent meal.

"Utsy is glad Utsy could help Miss Juniper. What was Miss Juniper's dream about?" she asked motheringly. I always could talk to Utsy about anything. But... this was so bizarre that for the first time, I hesitated.