Arc 1: Chapter 3: Deep Drowning

Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds
Chapter 3: Deep Drowning

"Why must you always disappoint me, Cassandra? You failed at casting your Patronus again."

"I can do it, Father, it's just... it just won't come out."

"The others at the Ministry will think poorly of me. Think about what you are doing to me- your own father."

"I know, I-I'm-"

"Stop! Stop it... already..." I cried out, tears pooling in my eyes. It was that dream again. The same dream that haunts me. The Patronus Charm was one of the very few spells that I had not mastered. Countless wise and experienced wizards and witches tried to teach me how to cast it but I could never muster anything more than a faint wisp.

To cast a Patronus, one must think of the happiest memory of their life. The happier the memory, the stronger the Patronus was. Although most wizards could never cast a corporeal Patronus, Father seemed embarrassed that I had failed too. At that moment, I was ordinary. Nothing was special or exceeding about me. I practised for hours every day for months as a teenager, desperately trying to cast the charm to no avail. Why? Thousands of memories had to have been used and none of them could produce a Patronus.

Knock knock.

A faint knocking noise broke the silence I was engulfed in. The sun had begun to rise over the horizon so it seemed I had accidentally fallen asleep at my desk... my poor back. Somewhat sluggishly, I opened the door to no visitor at all. The only thing in front of me was the other side of the hallway.

"Down here, Miss Juniper." a small voice gently spoke.

Initially confused, I looked down and saw the petit Professor Flitwick.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there. Is there something going on?" I enquired, trying to ignore the fact my hair was a mess, there was probably remnants of drool on my lip and I hadn't changed into my proper robes.

"Dumbledore finalised your timetable." He reached his arm up with a sheet of paper detailing what classes I would be going to each day and the year and Houses involved. "I noticed you have Charms with me and the Ravenclaw sixth years. Would you like for me to take you there? The castle has a mind of its own at times."

It would be a good opportunity to ask him about MacKenna and Marin. As Head of House, there must be something he knows about them. My notes say Marin got top grades in Charms and MacKenna was a popular Ravenclaw. Other than house, there was nothing linking them. Flitwick may be able to provide me with details.

*****
I quickly got changed and ready for the day before meeting Flitwick who waited patiently outside of my room. He seemed very eager for today's lesson or to be seeing me.

"Thanks for waiting," I said as we began to walk to the classroom. "What are we doing today?"

His glasses reflected brightly off the sunlight breaching through the windows of the castle as he shot a wide smile. Yep, he was definitely excited.

"We, my dear girl, shall we show the sixth years how to cast nonverbal spells. I'm sure you're quite familiar?" he beamed.

He wasn't wrong; I was well-practised in most nonverbal spells and they were beyond helpful in the rush of the Ministry. Imagine having to repeat "Reparo!" every time something broke (which was very frequent) or "Accio!" whenever you need something summoned to you (very useful in finding that one specific sheet of paper). Truthfully, it is a miracle wizards can live without nonverbal spells.

"I'd say I'm fairly advanced with it. I imagine they'll have quite a hard time learning it..."

"And that's where Dumbledore insists you'll be involved! If there are any students who need additional help, you may go and give them assistance." It made sense, though I'm not entirely sure how to... interact with them.