"Breathe MJ, we'll worry about Darnell after school." I told myself.

~ ~ ~

"Two more presentations and it'll be our turn, are you feeling ready?" Daneley asked as we walked out of biology class.

You must be wondering... No, Darnell didn't come to class.

"It's just a presentation, how bad can it be? We'll be fine besides how much more ready could we possibly be, I'm talking seven different textbooks, three of the best websites, what could possibly go wrong?"

"You're right, we prepared pretty well... So have you and Jason been talk–"

My ringing tone interrupted our conversation.

It was Jakob.

"Hey Jake, is something wro–"

"Yes! Meet me in the parking lot right away, Dad's been in an accident." Jakob said hurriedly and the line went dead.

My heart started to beat way faster.

No please, let this be a prank, not my Dad... Is today cursed?

~ ~ ~

It's been several hours and according to the doctor our Dad was stable now but they'd need to perform a thigh surgery to fix his bone and stitch him up because a sharpnel had pierced through his skin during the accident, apparently his car had been hit by a lorry because the driver was on a call arguing with a customer and got distracted. The surgery was scheduled to start in a few hours when his blood pressure was much less threatening but in the meantime they had stopped the bleeding and cleaned his head wound, luckily he didn't suffer a concussion but he'd need at least three months of rehab to be walking perfectly again.

My mom was in the theater with him right now while Jakob on the other hand had teary weak eyes but he was trying to be strong for me, we weren't allowed to go in just yet because my Mom didn't want us seeing our Dad in such a helpless state, something about certain memories we won't be able to get over.

The pensive air in the hospital waiting space was suffocating me but Jakob's presence was a huge antidepressant, neither of us were speaking but Jakob's hand was stroking my arm for emotional support. I know my Dad would survive this because he's a fighter but how long till he recovered fully? Why is life so uncertain? It's situations like this that makes me grateful for everything in my life and cherish the memories.

Reconcile with whomever it is you have a beef with guys, let go of those hatred feelings, choose happiness and let love find you, confess your feelings, let loose those ravaging emotions and experience peace because life... It's not always colorful, it has shades, some plot twist would take you by surprise and you don't know who you won't be seeing tomorrow. If you ever forget anything, remember that; I love you.

"Hey, I'll be right back, let me grab you something to drink." Jake said to me in a raspy voice.

I lifted my head from his shoulder and wiped my cheek, my lips felt bare, dry and cracked, something to drink would be really nice.

"Thanks." I muttered while avoiding eye contact so I don't breakdown again.

Immediately he was out of sight, his cell phone vibrated and the screen lit up, someone had texted him, I was about to look away until I identified the texter to be Jason, so I picked up the phone and clicked on his message.

Hold on, why did Jake save Jason's phone number as; Marie's crush?... He's so dead.

Marie's crush: brother, I just heard the news from Coach, I'm omw.