(Chapter 23) Losses

Guinevere watched Gilfrost teleport everyone to Liones Castle, before she ran over to Arthur and hugged him. "Ah, so you're the lucky guy she's with. Good for you." Hana said, patting him on the back as she watched the fight between Meliodas, Gloxinia, and Drole. Arcadia's eyes were wide as she watched him fight at his limit. "I have to help him." she mumbled, catching Hendrickson's attention. "Please, don't do that. Aren't Lady Gaia and Lady Rosetta still there?" he asked, causing her to shake her head. "They're afraid of those two, and for good reason." she said, but Hendrickson persisted. "Please, you're the only one I have left who still cares about me." he took hold of her hand and pulled her close to him as tears started welling up in his eyes. "I can't lose you, too. Not again." he whispered, as Hana smiled over at the two. Arcadia sighed before turning to look at the others, who shook their heads. Arcadia continued to watch as Meliodas fought the giant and fairy, before Gaia cursed under her breath and then joined him. "Screw it. Lava Flow!" she yelled, narrowly missing Gloxinia and Drole by a few inches. She didn't want to, but if she had to, she'd fight them for her friend. "Gaia, don't." Meliodas called, but she looked back at him with a smile. "I'll be fine, but you have somebody to get back to." she said, swinging her mace at Drole as Gloxinia tried to attack. "Hive Swarm!" he heard, before Basquias turned into its armor form. Gloxinia flew behind Rosetta, and slashed at her back, cutting deep and knocking her unconscious. Before she hit the ground, Gloxinia caught her, and gently held her in his arms. "No..." Meliodas mumbled, before he watched several shadows hit the ground around him. After the dust had cleared, he was face to face with Zeldris and the other Ten Commandments.

Gaia's eyes widened before Drole grabbed her arms and legs, forcing her to stay still as she faced him. "I will do you the courtesy of not forcing you to watch, but you are still coming with me." he told her. She then smiled before swiping his legs from under him, but to no avail, as she smelled the pheromones of Emerald Octo closing in on her, and her vision faded to black.

Arcadia and the others watched with tears in their eyes as Meliodas fought at his full power, but failed in the end as Estarossa stopped him from using 'Revenge Counter' on the group of demons. Even Ban couldn't save him, as Estarossa stabbed, one by one, all seven of his hearts. Eventually, he fell at Estarossa's feet, his eyes lifeless and cold, before the last sword was stabbed into his final heart, and he went still. The Commandments left shortly after. Gloxinia and Drole took Gaia and Rosetta with them, and Meliodas' body was left there on the battlefield where he had been killed, causing the others to finally turn away as they cried. "Take me to him." Arcadia heard Elizabeth say to Gilfrost, and watched as the mage finally nodded before he teleported her to where Meliodas lay. Arcadia turned to look at Hendrickson, her eyes wide, sadness and regret swimming in them. She hugged him tightly, sobbing into his shoulder as she let the emotions she had been keeping in finally resurface. He stayed there, holding her there as she practically collapsed into his arms. She trembled as tears rolled down her cheeks. Then, she felt a hand on her shoulder, and looked over to see Gilthunder. She shook her head, causing him to nod before the group finally split and then went back to either the castle or the places they had come from.

Hana looked up at Nanashi, before she leaned against him and took his hand into hers. The two of them, as well as Arthur and Guinevere, were invited by Bartra to stay at the castle for the time being. Hana led Nanashi up to where their room was and then opened the door, humming softly as she saw the large interior of the room. She then noticed some night clothes for both of them, and gave Nanashi a set, before she went into the bathroom to get changed. After Hana came back out of the bathroom, she saw that Nanashi had already changed, and got under the covers of the bed. She shivered slightly from the cold, and tried to warm herself up, only for Nanashi to wrap his arms around her and pull her closer to him. His hair was down now, with his hair tie on the bedside table, as Hana did the same to her hair tie. She then reached up and scratched his scalp, causing him to relax as he leaned into her touch and his face turned slightly red. He couldn't deny that he loved it whenever she did this, though it was a rarity for her to ever do so. After she stopped, the swordsman looked down at her and cupped her face in his hands. His hands were rough and calloused from teaching himself how to fight with a sword, while hers were dainty and soft, since she had been taught how to handle her katana to where she wouldn't get scars or calluses. Hana looked up at her lover and smiled, snuggling closer to him as she rested her head against his shoulder. "It's been a while since I've gotten the chance to spend any time with you alone like this, it's nice." She mumbled, tired from fighting and everything else that had happened earlier. Nanashi leaned down and kissed her, his lips gently pressed against hers as she tensed up for a second, before she relaxed and let her eyes slip closed. She then pulled away from him after a few minutes, her face red as she looked up at him and buried her face in his chest. Nanashi smiled down at her and wrapped her up in his arms before going to sleep.

Guinevere walked alongside Arthur in silence, with the ladder still practically sobbing from what had just happened. Once the two had gotten to the room that Bartra had given them, Guinevere handed Arthur a set of pajamas that she had seen on the bed, before changing into the nightgown she had been given. After the two were comfortable under the covers, Guinevere cupped Arthur's face in her hands and moved his head to rest on her chest. He sighed deeply, albeit shakily, before he spoke. "He's gone." was all he said, before she hummed softly. "Do you remember the first time I ever met you?" she asked suddenly, causing Arthur to pull away and look down at her confusedly. "Yeah, it was ages ago, back when we were both children, but why bring that up now?" Arthur asked, causing her to smile softly. "Well, whenever I'm sad, I think of all the things I've gained instead of lost. And you're one of the people I've become close to, are you not?" she asked, causing Arthur's face to turn red as he nodded, hugging her tightly as he spoke. "I remember when you would always ignore Kay and play with me instead, since he was a year older than both of us." he continued, laughing slightly as he recalled the memory. Guinevere wrapped her arms around Arthur's middle as she decided to rest her head against his chest, smiling as she did so. He pulled her closer, if that was even possible, and then spoke. "I remember how you were always too shy to go alone to the market to get food, and how you would always stand behind me whenever you had to approach anyone." he said, wrapping his arms around her. "I also remember when you asked me out on a date for Valentines Day, and how you were a nervous wreck that day." he laughed, as Guinevere buried her now red face in his chest. "Arthur!" she scolded, flustered, as she hit his chest lightly. After that, there was a comfortable silence hanging in the air, and Arthur figured that she had fallen asleep. "Arthur?" she asked, catching his attention as he spoke. "Yes?" he responded, looking down at her, before he felt her lips against his as she kissed him. After she pulled away, she smiled at him, and went back to laying down against his chest. "I love you." she mumbled, closing her eyes and relaxing as the silence dragged on before Arthur broke it. "I love you too." he whispered, holding her close as the two of them drifted off to sleep together.