"Yes.  They're treating us like heroes," Bazma told his brother.

"Pronos and Somek are milking their fame for all its worth," Karux added.  "You'd think they'd each fought a dozen of those things."

"And you should see the food," Macander said.  "They're really laying it on thick."

Sjaiwa appeared in the doorway with a bowl of soup and a basket of food.  "He will if you three will just move out of the way."  She sauntered in, brushing Bazma aside with her hip, and plopped down next to Garick's pallet.   He tried to take the bowl, but she held it out of reach.  When he stopped, she began spooning food into his mouth and cooing about her brave and handsome man while expressions of joy and disgust warred across his face.

"I, er, guess we'd better go." Karux said, clapping Macander on the back and giving him a shove towards the door.  "We'll check back later and let you know what's going on."

Garick nodded at them as Sjaiwa pushed another spoonful in.

-=====|==

Everyone in the village wanted to hear the story of the fight repeatedly, so that each participant got to tell and retell the story from their point of view.  As they talked, a number of the men examined their spears, amazed at their strange two-headed design, and asked how they were used.  This frequently resulted in a spontaneous demonstration of their unique fighting technique.

Toward the end of the feast, which was held in the stoma since it had the only roof large enough to accommodate the whole village, Arrain stood and raised a drinking bowl.  "To our brave—"

"And dangerous!" a voice called out.

"Yes, our brave and dangerous young men.  We are grateful for your courage, your foresight," here he looked at Karux who felt a slight thrill of vindication.  "...your preparation and your dedication to your korion.  I would hate to think what could have happened had that angoran entered our korion while half our men were away in this stoma and the other half were asleep and unarmed."  He paused here and the whole village froze, bowls uplifted, frowning at the unrealized nightmares flitting through their minds.  Finally someone broke the somber moment with a cheer.

"Huzzah!"

Everyone lifted their bowls and cheered.

Afterwards, as they passed the angoran's large knife around to be examined, one of the younger boys got a little careless with it and nearly cut another boy.

"Enough you two," Anzell rose and took the knife.  "I think I had better keep that.  You can't be trusted with it."

"Hey!" Amantis leaped to his feet.  "That's mine!"

"What?"

"I killed that thing.  I ripped its throat out.  I should get its knife."

An awkward silence followed as the men exchanged questioning glances.  No one offered a reason to deny him and so with one last puzzled look at the knife, Anzell passed it toward Amantis.

"The knife is too big and awkward for any sort of practical use.  Why do you want it?" Naipho took the blade and handed it to Amantis.

Amantis wrapped his hand around the handle.  It was big enough to comfortably hold in both hands.  "I don't know," he shrugged.  "I thought it would make a good trophy."

"In that case, I want one of the wolf skins," Pronos said.

"Me too!" Somek said.

"And me!" Theris and Karux both shouted in unison then laughed.