✹thirty three ✹

Start from the beginning

"Eggs." she breathed. "Dragon eggs." Rhena focused all of her strength on getting a better look. "How?" Her hands gravitated towards a milky white one, centered with a black one out of the four.

"They were a wedding gift for Daenerys. Long frozen in time, I fear only Aegon's dragon could bring them to life." Rhena hardly heard his response as she lifted the large egg from its casing. Her heart tugged against her chest when she held the shell close to her and she smiled when she noticed the golden edges of each scale.

"They are a great comfort." Rhena said, eyes wandering over the rest. One of them was a deep green, another as yellow as the setting sun, and the last, black and red to match her house colors. "I'll have to thank Daenerys when I see her again."

Callan sat next to her and joined her appraisal of her sister's gifts. "They are beautiful. There is one for each of you."

"For each Targaryen." Rhena nodded in approval. "Oh I do hate when destiny throws something so obvious in my face." Callan looked to her in question. Rhena met his gaze and smiled. "I like to figure it all out by my own trials." Callan smiled with her, glad that some of her happy self was showing already.

The Dothraki did not bury their dead, as Rhena's people did across the sea. The bones of their fathers and mothers were not preserved in a crypt or returned to the earth. They were burned until the dust of their very bones were scattered to the winds to take refuge in the heavens. Daenerys explained how it was shameful to not go through with the ceremony. She told Rhena how the Dothraki believed that if one's body was never burned, their soul could never be free to ride with their ancestors in the Night Lands. Rhena wondered if her child would be accepted for it was only a pile of cloth splattered with dried blood.

The funeral pyre was large for someone so small and Rhena gazed up at the top, contemplating what to do next. The cloth was already laid and night was falling quickly. She stood between Drogo and Daenerys, each offering their support in the ways that each could. Drogo had merely clasped her arm in his and nodded. Rhena Supposed that was as far as he would take it.

Daenerys, however, hardly left her alone to breathe. Her own pregnancy was starting to weigh on her, and much like Rhaella, Daenerys had trouble staying on her feet for long periods of time. She would be in the birthing bed before the end of the harvest.

The Dothraki surrounded them by the hundred fold, paying their respects to a life lost. "Rhena." Daenerys whispered when the crowd had settled into a gentle roar. "I would like to offer you these." Daenerys gestured to the left where one of Drogo's blood riders held the chest of eggs. "You're the eldest Targaryen, they are yours by right."

Rhena swallowed. "No Daenerys," She started, "They were gifted to you, I can't-"

"And now I am gifting them to you." Daenerys cut her off, reaching in to gently lift the same one which Rhena herself had cradled the night prior. "Please."

Rhena gazed at her sister, amazed at her kindness even after the shit which she had been dragged through by Viserys. "Thank you my love." Rhena nodded before accepting the egg.

"What shall you do with them mother?" Aryen asked from behind her. Rhena turned to her sons who stood beside Callan, all with matching frowns etched upon their brows. She then turned back to the pyre.

"Pick one." She ordered her sons. "Both of you. Whichever calls to you the most. You as well, sweet sister." The boys hesitated only a moment before they were advancing on the chest, eager to claim their gift.

Daenerys was the closest and her eyes passed over the remaining eggs carefully. Her hands traced each shell before they landed on black and red. "I suppose the Targaryen colors suit me more than the boys." It was true, she even looked more Targaryen than her Lannister nephews.