The abyss in me (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Once I walked out of the forest's path and the palace's gates came in sight, my eyes widened in shock and the ice cream I so preciously tried to maintain on its frozen state for my sister's pleasure, dropped from my hands and with a small 'plop' landed on the ground.

I didn't care much about the wasted dessert as my heart sunk at the idea of my beloved sister being dead.

Not even a sound could come out of my throat other than silent mumblings that didn't create any proper word. It was like I suddenly lost the ability to speak and my body froze like a statue on the spot.

There was a huge fire spreading right before my eyes, coming from the room my sick mother and sister were kept.

An image of my weak mother hugging protectively my sister's frail body while flames surrounded them, crossed my mind and I felt like a spell broke and I moved my body.

Maybe, I could rush and save them. Maybe they weren't dead yet and have escaped safely from the room.

I crossed with quick steps the royal main gate that was surprisingly unguarded as it seems everyone was alert and present inside the enormous building and approached the spot directly under the burning room of the first floor.

Now I had a better view of the situation, I felt like losing my hopes as the sense of emptiness overwhelmed my fragile heart. How stupid I was? What could a 6 year old girl probably do?

The royal quarter's windows broke and small crystals that reflected the sun's light, fell from the sky like a rain of fire drops and some of them reached my delicate skin cutting through my face on a few spots. The freshly made cuts burned as my salty tears combined with the blood but I swear, I thought I would have a heart attack then and there.

Well, I was prepared I would lose them one day.

The doctor had said that the sickness both mother and daughter carried was incurable but still I hoped that a medicine would have eventually been discovered and so they could have a normal life again. However, I who grew to be more pessimistic as life taught me her cruel and ungenerous face, stopped hoping when I saw my beloved sister one day, vomiting blood and her skin's color turning into a shade that was no different from the ground on a snowy day.

But that was definitely not the day and the way I expected them to die.

"Oh my Lord! This is her Majesty's chambers! Princess Valerie please come here! It is dangerous to stand there!", the maid yelled at me and tried to guide me on a safer spot but my gaze was stuck on the burning flames that danced here and there like mocking me.

"Princess Valerie! You have glasses on your face we have to treat those wounds or else they will leave scars!"

Huh that was funny.

She talks about scars on my face but what about the scars on my bleeding heart?

"Quickly! Call the royal doctor! Her Majesty and the princess are in a bad state!", a maid rushed out of the palace and called for the messenger who immediately rode his horse and run like a madman towards the town.

"Princess Valerie please come here! We need to have faith! Maybe her Majesty and princess Melody are not..."

"They are dead.", I blankly answered without focusing my gaze elsewhere other than the flames above me that seemed to grow bigger with every passing minute. Even I was surprised by the coldness of my voice.

"Princess Valerie, please don't think like that! They might..."

"They are dead.", I replied again and felt hot tears running down my pale cheeks uncontrollably.