𝒊. endings, beginnings.

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.

      Evelyn Clark and Jerome Valeska would say they're about as close as two best friends can be

      Evelyn Clark and Jerome Valeska would say they're about as close as two best friends can be. They've been attached at the hip ever since the ripe age of seven - ever since the blonde girl's 'recovering' father brought her alongside him to join the circus - and they haven't necessarily separated since. Eventually, you get so used to a person's existence in your life that you can't picture living one without them. That's how Evelyn would describe their friendship, at least. They'd do just about anything for each other, anyone who knows the two youngsters could tell you that.

Obviously, there's some things they just can't do, or at the very least shouldn't. For example, oftentimes, Evie gets the overwhelming, full-body urge to slit Lila Valeska's throat. Not that she'll ever be able to truly commit a murder, she won't deny that she'd do that and just about anything else to end the sickening cycle of pure abuse that Lila has willingly bestowed upon her beloved son for years upon years without end, but Evelyn can't do that. She's witnessed the demented mother's torment first hand - she's watched as the woman's ridiculed and shamed her son for doing nothing but trying to please her, she's even often helped clean the many wounds that the monster and her multiple lovers have inflicted upon the boy, and she's gotten into quite a few heated encounters with the woman because of this. But, despite all that, she'll never act upon her violent thoughts of ending the woman's life, she simply doesn't have the stomach for it.

The next best thing were the plans she and Jerome made long ago provide some sort of comfort in their shattered lives - they would wait until they were both eighteen, and then they would abandon the circus for good and never look back. Jerome has already reached the glorious age of official adulthood, and Evie will be following close behind in only a year's time. But, Jerome can't take another day of his mother's abuse, let alone another year- he won't. So, he makes the life-changing decision to carry out his own plan, to do what Evie never had the stomach to, to do what she'd only ever joked about.

He comes to the blonde's trailer soon after he does it, the one right next to his own, inhabited by only Evie and, on rare occasion, her zombie of a father. He doesn't knock, he usually doesn't, he simply swings the rusted door in a single movement and takes off in long strides toward Evie's room near the back of the mobile home. The pep in his step is too casual having he's just murdered his mother, yet again how is he really supposed to act under these circumstances?