Part- 5

Jungkook's pov

Butterflies frantically took wing in my stomach as we entered the ballroom of the opulent hotel. It was truly beautiful with vaulted ceilings, marble flooring, sparkling chandeliers, and intricate crown molding on the walls. Thick, scarlet drapes framed the pretty French windows. A spiral staircase led to a second level, where I could just make out a few tables and chairs. I wondered if that was where they'd be holding the gala's dinner and auction.

Muted laughter and the murmur of voices flowed throughout the space. A lone male played soft, classical music on a grand piano. White gloved waiters meandered through the ballroom, offering canapés and flutes of champagne to the many guests-all of whom were dressed in tuxedos or gowns or fancy and elegant attires, much like Taehyung and I were.

My ruby red silk shirt and black long coat with black trousers was gorgeous. I originally intend to straighten my hair and pulled it slick back but Taehyung asked me to keep it my natural way wavy and fluffy slightly parted. When I'd asked why, he'd merely replied, "Because I like it that way." To be honest, I'd still had every intention of doing what I had planned, but I'd been running late so I hadn't had time.

"There's a whole lot of people here." I spotted several of Taehyung's business associates. There were also a few celebrities

Taehyung grabbed two champagne flutes from a passing waiter and gave one to me. "Here."

"Thank you." I sipped at the bubbly liquid. "Are your brothers and their wives/husbands here yet?"

"Not that I've noticed." He curled an arm around my waist and cupped my hip, making my pulse jump. Jesus, he smelled good. His signature cologne was sensual, mysterious, and powerfully masculine. It made me want to lick him all up. "Stay close to me," he added.

I took a steadying sip of my drink. "Will do."

I wasn't entirely sure why I was so nervous. My job this evening was to convince people I was enamored with Taehyung, but I had to be careful to not overdo it. And I'd need to stop my body from going into meltdown after a night of him touching me more openly than normal-which would be easier said than done.

If I couldn't get through this gala without losing my nerves, I'd never get through my upcoming, fake wedding. Just thinking of it made my stomach roll.

Reaching for humor to lighten my mood, I joked, "So, should I call you babycakes from now on or something?"

Taehyung gave me a droll look. "No."

"Shnookums? Dear one? Sugar lips? Light of my life? Ooh, I know -big daddy."

He sighed and shook his head, but his eyes were dancing. "Only you, Jungkook. Only you." He guided me across the room to a group of people I didn't recognize.

One beamed at him. "Ah, Taehyung."

My fake date nodded. "Chin-hwa."

Chin-hwa's eyes drifted to me, gleaming with speculation. "And who is this beautiful guest of yours?"

"This is my Jungkook," said Taehyung, his voice loaded with possession. And, yep, several sets of eyebrows lifted high.

Chin blinked. "Your Jungkook? Like that, is it?"

"Wouldn't you claim such a stunning creature if you could?"

Chin grinned. "Oh, I sure would."

Taehyung looked down at me, one corner of his mouth kicking up into a warm, sexy smile that made me tingle in all the best places.

After the group asked us a few questions, such as how we met and how long we'd been dating, the conversation switched to business. No surprise there. A lot of networking went on at such events. But as that wasn't Taehyung's main purpose tonight, it wasn't long before he moved us on.