>> one

Edited: December 1, 2016

Huffing, I flipped dark strands of hair from my eyes, crouching down on the branch I was sitting at. I was an excellent climber, often ending up in the heights, sitting for hours until game comes around. Unlike my entire pack, I enjoyed hunting with something different than just my canines like a vicious dog, which I actually am. There was just something there about letting the string of your bow go or letting the blade of a knife fly through the air at your target that made me feel good. I swear, I am in no way a sadist.

I was already dreaming of a nice rabbit stew hopping right below me, when the leaves shook. It scared away my thoughts of stew and I drew aim of my arrow to the bushes, hoping to get a bigger game than might be chasing that rabbit. It was a time of the year when some of the pack's pups shifted for the first time and they ran wild in the forests. This was one of the cases where a pup scared away my prey. Again.

The pup slid to a stop, digging his paws into the dirt and then holding his head up high, sniffing for a scent. "Yeah, up here you dumb-ass," I called. I had already recognized the one that scared away my prey. "That was my rabbit, Simon."

'Sorry, Katja. Didn't mean to,' he apologized through mind-link and I jumped down from my branch, bending my knees slightly.

"I wanted to take it to Gran so she could cook up some stew for tomorrow! Now I have nothing," I sighed, leaning my back against the tree bark. Simon came closer to me and brushed his wet nose against my hand. I sighed and scratched his head, petting the soft brown fur. "Let's go home, Simon. I bet Gran has dinner ready."

He jumped from joy and began running back towards the pack's land. I looked down at my clothes, and I found them too cute to be shredded during the shift, so I simply ran after Simon in my human form. Back at the pack, a few warriors of the pack looked weirdly at my bow, like they always do. You'll thank me one day, I thought smugly.

I headed towards a cottage that was located among other's quite in the middle of our little compound of cottages where all the pack's members lived. I lived in one of the houses right in the middle with Simon and Gran. Or at least I called her Gran. To be honest, I didn't have parents. I mean of course I had to have parents, I couldn't just pop out of the ground or anything, but they left me. They could be dead for all I know.

I was left in the woods near this pack and the only thing I had from my parents was a chain and dangling on it was a plain ring, just the size of my ring finger.

The houses were all just scattered around, no real symmetry between their location. As soon as I opened the door, I was hit with the aroma of meat pie and fruit cakes. Looks like Gran had another rush of baking over her.

And there she was, standing behind the kitchen counter, cutting crispy edges off from the pie. Simon was next to her, now dressed in shorts, eating the pieces that were cut off. Gran's grey hair was braided into a sided braid, something she wore often, and her woodsy warm brown eyes flickered up to me.

"Hey, Katja! Welcome back. How was hunting?" she asked cheerfully. I walked closer, sitting on a wooden chair that was behind the counter.

"Well, I had a nice little rabbit at my point, when Mr. prankster here himself scared it away. And I was so hoping for a rabbit stew," I complained, playing around with my voice for exaggeration. Gran chuckled and shook her head, looking at Simon, who glared at me. Most likely because I just sold him out.

"Katja will hold that arrow at your head next thing," Gran warned Simon, pointing at him with her knife. Simon faked a scared face, before slipping around the counter towards me.

"Katja, are we going to practice today?" Simon asked excitedly.

"Sure, buddy," I grinned and ran my fingers through his hair. He pouted patted down his wild locks again.