Chapter 7. The hospital

"Since they brought you in, I think it's been about two and a half days

"Since they brought you in, I think it's been about two and a half days."

"God...What happened?"

I vaguely remembered what had happened, but many parts were missing. The painkillers had done their jobs, making me feel like a weightless jellyfish with no organs floating in the sea's current. My whole body felt funny.

"Don't exert yourself," Robert put his hand on my shoulder to stop me from getting up. "Basically, you were stuck in your apartment's elevator for about half a day. When they found you, you were unconscious. Luckily, the elevator is old. It isn't a sealed box like some of the newer ones, and right now, we're in the middle of winter, or it could've been much worse."

Robert said everything in one breath, then stopped. His eyes seemed to puncture through me.

"That old ass elevator, I knew it would be like that someday..."

"There was actually a power outage. The power lines in several areas were destroyed. When I heard about it, I wanted to check on you, but I couldn't come right away..." Robert looked down at his hands and then back at me. "I'm sorry, Lou."

"Sorry for what?" I asked slowly. Whatever they had used on me was good.

"For leaving you. That day, I mean. I had promised Vince to take you home safely, but I just didn't have time..."

"Didn't have time," I repeated, "Of course, you didn't have time. You're always so busy saving the world. I'm just never a priority."

"Please, don't say that."

"Oh, come on! We both know it's true. Everyone needs you, and you like that. You like to feel important, don't you?"

Robert's pained expression didn't make any sense. Did I actually hurt his feelings?

"You don't understand, Lou," Robert wiped his face, sounding exhausted, "Even until now, you still don't, but it's ok. It doesn't matter." He dusted his clothes and stood up. His eyes were on the door. "I've got to go. I've already been here longer than I'm supposed to. I have work to do. You're awake now, so I'll go get your dad and Vince. Rest."

His robotic command ground on my brain. I didn't know where the energy came from, but I grabbed the nearest object - A plastic cup filled with water and threw it at Robert. Of course, the attempt failed. All I managed to do was swipe the cup off the table. It dropped right in front of Robert, splashing water everywhere. He jumped backward to avoid it, but some water still got on his shoes. He glared at me, and I glared back, ready for whatever came next.

The door swung open with such force, and there was my dad, in full service uniform. "You're awake! Thank God, Lou! I was so worried. What the hell were you thinking driving back to that apartment? You should've called me, and I would've arranged a car..."

 His voice suited how he looked perfectly.

My head wanted to bust. I groaned loudly and turned away. I was not ready for any of this, not now, not ever.

"Dad, just chill! She just woke up!" Vince jumped in between us. "Hey Lou, how do you feel?'

Vince gave me a wide smile. He came closer and touched my face. His hand was warm and rough like a mechanic's hand. He hadn't changed much besides looking a little more tanned. Half of his messy black hair was tightened into a small bun on top of his head, leaving the other half on his shoulders. Vince wore his old white t-shirt under a flannel shirt and sherpa coat, with utility shorts under. It didn't matter if it was rain, shine, or blizzard, his calves were always out. Vince's hiking boots looked like they had seen better days. My brother was a true fashion disaster, but the mere sight of him warmed me up.

"Hey, heard you found some new love down in Jerrado?" I teased him.

"Nonsense... Oh, you mean the RV! Yeah, I just borrowed it while my van needs some fixing."

"You can throw that piece of crap away already. It's older than you!"

"You don't understand, Lou! It has soul. One of a kind, fully customized to my needs. You can't find one like that anywhere..."

"Vince, can you stop talking about your vehicles for one second? I need to talk to your sister."

Both of us couldn't help but roll our eyes. There he went. Of course, my dad couldn't wait a second before he started a new interrogation session.

"Hey, Robert," My brother gestured to the door, " Want to come help me? I left some stuff in the RV."

"Sure."

Robert didn't wait for Vince to ask twice. He glanced at me one last time, his expression was undecipherable, then turned to my dad.

"General," Robert said while walking past him.

My dad didn't say anything. No one knew what really went through his mind. The room finally became quiet. Neither my dad nor I knew what to say.

"Dad... I'm sorry," I mumbled without looking at him. I didn't want to worry him. His heavy sigh added to my guilt, more than I would like to admit.

"Lou, you should've called me! I could've gotten you out of Nova Aria a long time ago. Now everything is a huge mess..."

He wiped the sweat on his forehead, then looked around. I knew my dad was always a little paranoid, but when he stood up and scanned the room, touching every edge and corner, even opening up the TV remote control, I knew something was up.

"The Federation is in trouble," my dad said while standing on a chair in the middle of the room, checking the light bulb on the ceiling. "Saying this much would get me arrested, but fuck it, you need to know."

"Dad!" I gasped. I had rarely heard my dad curse. Maybe once, or twice, but he had made sure not to make it a habit.

"It is what it is, Lou," he shrugged, "As much as they like to act like they're in control. They're not! They let Castillon string them around and treat the whole thing like a big circus. Now, look at where we are! We all have to pay for it."

"What are you talking about?"

"They always talk about Crow's people as if they are the big bad wolves, but it's all just a diversion."

"What do you mean by that? Weren't those people behind the bombings? They even came into the city twice to shoot at everyone. Remember?"

"Right, but have you ever asked yourself where they are now? It's been months since the last attack, Crow's people have evaporated from the face of Earth, and all of a sudden, the Federation wanted to put martial law in effect. Does it even make sense? And where did those people even get the money for weapons in the first place? Those are not cheap." My dad looked around and lowered his voice. "The weapons they used are the same ones that the military uses. Exactly the same." He raised one eyebrow and stopped there.

While I mused over what my dad had said, he jumped down from the chair and pulled out two ID cards from his inner pocket.

"All that is not the point. The point is the city will be completely shut down in a few days. No in or out for the civilians, and that's the direct order from Castillon. I've also just learned about it not long ago. There are a few slots left on the train to Miramar for military personnel, I want you and Vince on it tomorrow."

"Ok...But what about you, Dad?"

"Oh, don't worry about me. I'll be there."