Chapter 3: Fire And Ice

Book 2: Family
Chapter 3: Fire And Ice

Akira

Snow fell gently from the sky as Taima the Flying Bison carried Akira and Gyatso swiftly to their destination. Crystalline icebergs dotted the southern waters of a vast blue seascape. As the air dropped to sub-zero temperatures, Akira channeled heat through her body. Snow steamed when it touched her shoulders. She grabbed her thick blue coat and threw it on. Gyatso wore only thin robes. Airbenders could warm themselves with their breathing, so he didn't need a coat.

Akira spotted land in the distance. "Finally, we made it."

Gyatso's expression was grim. "Yeah. Hope you're ready for a fight. That letter said the city was in chaos."

"I'll do whatever it takes to help Master Kaimana." Akira said.

"Me too. Do you know where to find him?" Gyatso asked.

Akira realized she had no idea where he was. "Uh... nope."

Gyatso nodded like it was no problem. "He must've come here by ship, so someone at the docks must've seen him. We'll check the customs office."

"Good idea."

Taima landed on the docks near the customs office. They went into the building and asked the lady behind the desk if she had seen Kai, but she said she hadn't. When they came back out of the office, a figure in a black cloak was petting Taima.

"Umm, can I help you?" Gyatso asked.

The figure turned towards them. It was an old man. A bird-skull mask covered most of his face, but Akira could see his mouth and his gray beard. For a second it looked like he was smiling, but then he stopped.

"Perhaps, in the near future. But right now, I believe it is I who can help you, young Airbender."

"And you are...?" Gyatso wondered.

The man removed his mask, revealing a sharp, angular face. He had gleaming bronze eyes that could have belonged to an old man or a teenager.

"Avatar Akira, I was sent by the White Lotus to find you. Chief Aklavik is planning to assassinate your friend Kaimana so he can't challenge him for the throne. Follow me if you want to help."

Akira and Gyatso exchanged nervous looks.

"You have a name?" Akira asked.

"I've been known as... the Phoenix." The man replied.

"Okay Phoenix, take us to Kaimana."

•••••

Kaimana

Kaimana

Nalini's plan was insane. Aklavik wanted Kai dead, and yet here he was, on his way to the palace.

"Do you understand what you need to do, or do you still have questions?" Nalini wondered.

"Yeah... can we go over this again?" Kai asked.