mercury

The spacecraft is getting closer to the scorched yet magnificent surface of Mercury. I had the luck to witness both the darker and the brighter side of the planet, and it was just like I imagined it: dull, monotone, grey. Furthermore, with all these craters, I felt sorrowful and nostalgic.. especially while glazing at the darker side. I wonder which cruel past might have hit this planet before. Also, I think that combining all these elements, I could explain this sadness too.

 Also, I think that combining all these elements, I could explain this sadness too

I forgot to mention this is my first time in space. I'm the first human assigned to the mission of exploring all planets in one trip. I'm so far way from my home, it makes me feel sick in a way. Anyways, everything is experimental, and things could go wrong very easily, but I figured I didn't have much to live for anyways, and space has always been my biggest passion.. if you were me, wouldn't you have taken the job? Maybe you wouldn't actually, but me and you are different, and I respect your choice either way.

Finally, here I land. The spacecraft opens its door, and the vacuum almost pulls me out before I can take the first step. I can feel the excitement mixed with this weird feeling I have, that has yet to go away, and that hit me the moment I saw the surface of this beautifully scorched planet. If I were to compare it to a human, I would compare it to an old man that lost his wife years ago, and while listening to the radio, he hears the same old song that was playing when him and her met. I was thinking about which song it could have been, but nothing comes to my mind, just imagine a very nostalgic song, like one straight from the 60s.

 I was thinking about which song it could have been, but nothing comes to my mind, just imagine a very nostalgic song, like one straight from the 60s

With a little bit of initial hesitation, and after minutes where I stood there paralyzed, I take the first step. Here, right now, history is made. The first human to ever take step on Mercury is me, Vincent. My name will be on the news everywhere, I still can't fully realize it.

I know, call me childish all you want, but the first thing I did as soon as I put step on Mercury, was to jump as high as I could. I felt like a bird reaching the sky for the first time, while everything else felt light, almost non-existent. I never felt this free in my entire life, and my thoughts were gone with the sound of the vacuum of space and the crackle due to the elevated temperature. I could barely feel the gravity pulling me down, like when you go swimming but instead of going up, the planet let me gently down. This is also why I could compare Mercury to an old man; the gravity is just as gentle as a grandpa holding their nieces or nephews. The ground had plenty of rocks, and this is also why I prefer to "fly" instead of walking.

To a certain extend, this planet is also terrifying. The crackling was both soothing and worrying, for the reason being that it could remind somebody of hell. Talking about everything combined, including how damaged it looks, how it could make somebody feel, especially how it made me feel, I think this is realistically speaking the most accurate representation of hell we could ever observe. It's so hot that without this protecting suit, I don't think I could last a second in here.

 It's so hot that without this protecting suit, I don't think I could last a second in here

Anyways, I still can't get my mind off these craters. There are so many things that hit this planet during its lifetime to make it as macabre and beautiful as it is, and it makes me wonder what would it say if it could talk. Would it cry for help? Or would it describe its sad past? I really don't know, but I would listen to it anyways.

My curiosity won and I got closer to one of them.

I can't express how little I feel compared to it. I'm a big fan of these things though; as a matter of fact, I love large structures on Earth, it's basically the contrary of having megalophobia. I get fascinated pretty quickly by objects that are as mastodontic as this one. I feel like I want to jump in and swim, but there is no water of course, and I probably wouldn't be able to get out if I were to jump, so it's better to stay here and admire.

Before going, I sat on the edge of the crater and started contemplating a little. I still can't get over the fact of how gruesome yet fascinating it all feels and looks. The sound of vacuum just helps adding that touch of nothingness needed to arrange the perfect scenery.

Finally, here I approach my spacecraft again, ready to leave Mercury and advance towards Venus.