1.

Amber Graves
Savannah, Georgia

"AMBER"

Amber looked up and around the classroom until she made eye contact with her teacher, Ms. Porter.

"Yes?" She answered with attitude laced within her voice.

"You need to pay attention, considering you had to retest on the last unit test" Ms. Porter answered back with just as much attitude.

Amber shook her head and rested it back down on her desk.

Soon, the bell rang prompting everyone to get up and leave.

"Ms.Graves I need to talk to you.." her teacher said just as she reached the front of the class.

Amber rolled her eyes but walked back towards the teacher's desk.

"Ms. Graves, you have a 4.0 what the fuck is going on? At the beginning of the year you were amazing and now you're tardy or absent in every class and constantly in ISS, and now failing tests. I need you to get it together,"

"I failed one test but okay Ms. Porter" Amber rolled her eyes.

"Don't okay me, you'll be coming after school on Tuesdays for tutoring, starting today. Now take this note and go straight to your next class" Ms. Porter said handing her a late pass.

Amber huffed as she left, and headed to her AP Micro/Macroeconomics class.

"Late.. again" her teacher noted.

"I have a note" she sassed placing it in front of him.

He looked at it then nodded as she went to her seat.

"Well, I was just going over the next steps for this semester project. Talk to your partner so he can catch you up" the teacher told her.

She rolled her eyes and turned to her partner, this semester she got paired up with Knowledge, who she did not like.

"Ight so we need to survey as many students in the school about their spending habits, then we'll compile that into a data chart that we use to analyze behaviors" he explained.

Amber nodded and pulled out her computer.

"Imma let you know this now Amber.. ion fuck wit you or your work ethic. But for this project I have to deal witchu.. please act right" Knowledge told her.

She rolled her eyes then spoke "I'm thinking we should do a Google form for the survey and see if we can post the QR code for it around the school. Then we can also share the code in person with students"

He nodded "Okay, you gon make it?"

"I already did, and I'm working on the QR code now" she told him.

"When should the deadline be for this Google form?" She asked.

"I'd say in two weeks, that should give us enough data and enough time to move into the next phase"

"Okay."

"And I wanna meet after school so we can make a plan" he told her.

"Okay."

He smacked his lips "You not gon keep saying okay bruh, what days working for you?"

"I can do any day this week, except for today" she told him.

"Ight I got track practice everyday until four, so does tomorrow at five work?" He asked.

Amber nodded as she handed him her phone "Yea, put your number in and I need your email so I can share this form with you"

"Ight I'll text it to you"

__________________

"I heard Monte fucked and he said shit was good" Amber heard someone say as she walked past them.

"Nigga I got the video, I ain gon lie that ass fat. I gotta hit next"

"Aye y'all gotta chill, and why you got a video of another nigga dick in your phone?" She heard Knowledge's voice.

"Mane you can't lie Knowledge-"

A loud slam echoed through the halls "I know you heard me tell you to chill,"

"Yeen have to push him Knowledge"

Amber just quickened her pace until she made it to Ms. Porter's room, she knew they were talking about her.

"Hi" she shyly waved and sat down once she reached a desk.

"The work from today is in the Google classroom, complete it. If you have any questions let me know. When you finish, I have some extra credit for you" Ms. Porter told her.

Amber nodded and opened her computer to start.

Since English was her favorite subject, she was able to breeze through the work after an hour.

"Hmm" Ms. Porter sounded seeing she had turned all the work in.

"Are you going to continue on the AP English track next year and take my AP Lit class?" she asked.

Amber shrugged "The counselors supposed to be talking to us soon about senior year, so I'll see"

"I definitely think you should.. the extra credit is pretty easy so you can do that at home."

"Thanks" Amber gave her a small smile.

"Mhm" Ms. Porter sounded as she continued scrolling through SHEIN on her phone.

"Aye" someone called as Amber came out of Ms Porter's room.

Amber scrunched up her face as she turned around to face the track, wrestling, and football coach, who was also a history teacher and substitute.

"Why you not on my track team?" He asked.

She shrugged "I've never done sports and I definitely don't run"

"Mm I can tell. I was thinking you can throw, we started workouts this week. Be there"

they gon stop telling me to do things. Amber thought as she made it out to the parking lot.

Finally, she reached the BMW X4 that her mom bought her at the beginning of junior year.

Once she got inside and settled in, she started her drive home.

Charlene by Anthony Hamilton player causing a smile to make it's way on Amber's face.

"Woke up this morning, found a letter that she wrote. She said she's tired that I'm always on the road.."  Amber sang along.

After a few more songs, she was pulling into her driveway. She rolled her eyes, seeing her mom's boyfriend, Chris, was home.

"Hi baby" her mom smiled from the kitchen as soon as she came in.

"Hey" she waved before quickly heading towards the stairs.

"You not gon speak?" Amber rolled her eyes hearing his voice.

"Hey Chris"

"I'm so sorry baby, she'll come around" Amber heard her mom say as she made her way up the stairs.

Once she got into her room, she let out a breath that she'd been holding in all day.

Her room was the only place she genuinely felt comfortable in.

Knowledge
see you tmr

ok.