Part Twent-Eight

**** I'm sorry that this is such a short little part. I intended for it to be a lot longer, but it may take a while for me to get the next part. So, I figured I'd at least give you something in the mean time. Hope you all like it as usual. This part is acually rather intense if you ask me.****

We both stood, frozen in place. This had been a really bad idea. We never should have snuck into her house to dig through her things. I know I wanted proof, and I wanted Dr. Kennedy to be right, but there had to have been another way.

Amber stood silently for what felt like an eternity. Dr. Kennedy and I both looked at each other, unsure of what we should do. There were two of us, and one of her. It was possible that if we wanted to, we could have gotten away from her, but then she took a step inside and shut the door behind her, locking it.

Dr. Kennedy and I instinctively took a step back. I looked over and saw that she had her hand on a phone in her jacket pocket, but that ruined her whole plan. Amber’s eyes followed mine and she caught a glimpse of it peeking out of the top of the pocket.

“Oh no you don’t!”

Amber walked over to her bed and quickly grabbed something she had hiding under her mattress. A gun. My eyes went wide with fear.

“Amber… please….” I tried.

“Shut up!”

She pointed the gun at me and I shut my mouth really fast, pretending to zip them shut. She instructed both of us to give up our phones and we both willingly dropped them to the floor and kicked them over to her. She picked them up and stuck them both in her hoodie pocket.

“Why are you doing this?” I asked.

She looked at me and sighed.

“Ever since the first day I saw you, I knew I had to have you. I thought… when you agreed to go out with me I was soooo happy. You have no idea. I thought that maybe we could stay together forever you know? But then… SHE started to interfere.” Amber pointed the gun at Dr. Kennedy who flinched. “I started seeing you with her all the time and I knew she was going to take you away from me.”

“Did you ever think about what would happen if I found out though?” I asked.

“Found out about what?”

She tilted her head a little like she was confused.

“About you stalking me,” I answered. “The pictures?”

“W-well….”

“Amber, please,” Dr. Kennedy shifted position. “You wouldn’t have gotten away with this and if you do something stupid right now, you won’t get away with that either. You have to just… stop.”

“You don’t need to speak right now.” Amber narrowed her eyes at Dr. K. “You don’t even know what you’re talking about.”

Dr. Kennedy crossed her arms.

“What are you going to do? Kill me so you can have Kendall here all to yourself? Because the only way that’s going to happen is if you kidnap her. She’d never go willingly. Besides, won’t it seem suspicious when one of the instructors from a small community college just disappears?”

Amber didn’t say anything for a moment as if she was taking the time to consider her options. Meanwhile, she kept shifting her gun between me and Dr. Kennedy. During the long, drawn out moment of silence I started to wonder about her parents. If she was back, shouldn’t they have been back as well?

Wouldn’t they wonder what their daughter was doing? Wouldn’t they hear the gunshot if she were to try and shoot one of us? I sighed and looked over at Dr. Kennedy. She was standing completely still, watching Amber.

It was an intense ten minutes that we waited for her to speak, or move, or at least show that she was still mentally there with us.

“You know what? I have a plan,” she said at last. She smiled to herself. “I framed Dr. Kennedy for a while and you actually believed me until she had to go open her big mouth. However, I could still make it seem like she was obsessed with you, and she killed herself, because you wouldn’t leave me for her, and… she wouldn’t be a live to tell the truth this time.”

“No one would believe that,” Dr. Kennedy told her.

Amber whipped the gun back over to Dr. Kennedy and put her finger on the trigger.

“I swear to God if you open your mouth one more damn time I will pull this trigger with no hesitation.” Dr. Kennedy looked down at the floor and amber turned to me. “You could make this easy you know. Just… leave her for me. I won’t have to hurt anybody. It will be as simple as that.”

“How do you know we wouldn’t go to the police?” I asked.

 “Because if you did, I’d kill your little girlfriend over here before I got away and you’d have to live with that for the rest of your life. Trust me. I’m capable of more than you know. I could pull it off and the cops would never even be able to find me.”

I thought a moment about what she said. A moment almost as long as the one she had taken. I didn’t want D. Kennedy to get hurt. I would never be able to live with that for the rest of my life. I also couldn’t be with Amber. Not this way. Not after all that had happened, and now that I knew who she really was. I had to save us both in the end though. There was really only one right decision that I eventually came to after what felt like hours.

“Fine. I’ll leave her.”