Part Twenty-Three

**** Short bit. Had a rough day. I'll get something better maybe tomorrow.****

          I woke in probably the best place I could’ve asked to wake up… in Dr. Kennedy’s arms with my head resting on her chest. There was sunlight shining in through the small window and everything around me seemed so calm and quiet.

            She was still fast asleep and I was unsure of whether or not I should wake her up. She looked way too peaceful and adorable that I would have felt bad. However, in the end, I decided that I didn’t want to be the only one awake in a strange house I’d never been in before. I nudged her side until her eyes finally opened.

            “Morning!” I said cheerfully.

            She smiled.

            “Good morning, Kendall. Sleep well?”

            I nodded. I had actually slept very well after the night I had. Everything about it was perfect. Dr. Kennedy clearly knew what she was doing and she was gentle about it too, because I had been a virgin. Yep, she was perfect. There couldn’t possibly be anything wrong with her.

            “How did you get away for the night?” I asked, realizing that she hadn’t gone back home at night, which may have seemed suspicious to her husband.

            “I told him that my mother wasn’t feeling well and my sister was away so I’d have to check on her. When I get back I’ll just say I ended up staying so late that I fell asleep. My mom and him don’t really talk so… it’s not like he’ll ask her whether or not I was there or something.”

            “Oh. Okay… I didn’t tell my mom that I wasn’t going home last night… I don’t think she’ll be too happy.”

            Dr. Kennedy sighed and wrapped her arms more tightly around me.

            “I’m sure things will be fine. You’ll have to worry about that later though, because we have to get to the college.”

            I looked at the little alarm clock that was on the dresser. It was 9:56am. She was right. We had to be there in a little over an hour.

            “I don’t have clothes to change into,” I said. “And neither do you… and maybe I could pull off my look as school appropriate, but I’m pretty sure you can’t.”

            Dr. Kennedy laughed.

            “It’s okay. I’m relatively the same size as my sister.”

            After Dr. Kennedy got dressed we got out into my car and I started backing out of the driveway.

            “What about your car that you didn’t take?”

            “I’ll say I walked. It’s okay, Kendall. I do this kind of thing all the time.”

            I thought for a moment about what she said. What did she mean she did this kind of thing all the time? I sure hoped she wasn’t referring to sleeping with her students at her sister’s house. I was quiet. I didn’t know how to respond at first.

            “You… do?”

            She must have picked up on what I was thinking.

            “Oh god… no. I didn’t mean it that way I promise. I just… I walk a lot and stuff. I don’t take my car everywhere. My husband won’t think anything of it.”

            I sighed. Relieved. After that we drove the majority of the rest of the trip in silence. The only times that either one of us really said anything was when we commented on things we saw along the way. Then finally, I dropped her off about a block away so she wouldn’t be seen getting out of her students car. Before she left she kissed me and waved good-bye. I waved back and then drove the rest of the way.

            Class was kind of boring. She lectured us and I pretended to actually listen. The usual. I sat back in my desk and stared at her while thinking about other things. I did catch her smile at me a few times though, even though I think she was honestly trying not to. You know, so no one else in the class would pick up on anything. I had to fight not to return a smile of my own.

-

Later on in the day I was sitting in class with Amber when she passed me a note. Really? passing notes? I didn’t know people still did that in college. Either way, I took the piece of paper, unfolded it, and read what she wrote.

            Hey there. I just wanted to let you know that I’m sorry for bringing up Dr. Kennedy the way I did yesterday. I mean, she does seem like a nice lady I was just concerned is all. I was afraid she would tell you to break up with me next or something. I didn’t want to see our relationship come to an end because of that.

            I sighed and wrote a response.

            It’s okay. I guess you have reason to be concerned. She hasn’t brought that up with me though.

            Technically that part had been a lie. Dr. Kennedy did tell me that she wanted me to break up with Amber. I thought Amber would flip out if I told her that though… so I conveniently left it out.

            She half smiled at me and then turned back to the front of the room to pay attention to what our instructor was saying to us. For the rest of the hour we sat in silence, letting this thing with Dr. Kennedy go for a bit.

            After class Amber insisted that she wanted to walk with me that day even though she really wasn’t supposed to anymore. I wasn’t going to stop her though. It’s not like I could’ve anyway. She was free to be late if she wanted to.

            Along the way we walked by Dr. Kennedy. I swear I caught her staring at Amber, eyes narrowed in slight anger. Unfortunately, right before she looked away, Amber even noticed.

            “Did you see that?” she asked. “She was just giving me a nasty look.”

            I shook my head.

            “I’m sure she wasn’t, Amber. She’s probably just in a bad mood or something. I think I noticed that she seemed off in history too.”

            Lie. Dr. Kennedy was in a great mood that morning, and I knew why. She was definitely just giving Amber a look, but… why?

            “Oh… well, okay.”

            She seemed to believe that. Good. I put my arm around her shoulder and started to walk faster so we could get out of the hallway that Dr. Kennedy was in. I didn’t want her to come back so Amber could critique her actions anymore.