Part Thirty (End)

Dr. Kennedy had to tell her daughter. I knew it sounded ridiculous, and she didn’t like the idea at all, but that was the way that it had to be. Her daughter would go to the office and ask them to call her dad. She would say that she was sick and that she needed to go home. He would then pick her up and take her to the police where she would tell them everything.

            Her husband would also have to know, because he would probably ask Janel why she wanted to go to the police. The good part though? Well, the cops would know, they would go after Amber, and Amber would go to the school only to find that Janel wasn’t there. She would be safely with her dad, somewhere other than their house. I worried a little about the other kids and the staff at the school, but I was pretty sure that Amber would just leave if she didn’t find Janel.

            “I would never leave you like that,” I said to Dr. K. as she held her phone in her hand.

She was about to call her daughter and I could tell she was nervous. She looked over at me and smiled.

“I had a feeling you wouldn’t. It was just… I… I was in shock.”

“I know. I was too.”

When everything was set into motion I went to leave Dr. Kennedy’s office. I promised her that everything would be okay, believing my own words, and then I was opening the door. To my surprise, I opened it to find Amber staring at me. I jumped.         

“Amber! W-what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in class?”

She raised an eyebrow.

“How stupid do you think I am? What are you doing in there talking to her? Planning to get me caught? Did someone call the cops?”

I shook my head.

“No… neither one of us called the cops.”

It wasn’t a lie, but I was still sweating as I stood before her. When I looked back, Dr. Kennedy was frozen in place at her desk. I turned back to Amber. She narrowed her eyes.

“I don’t believe you.”

She abruptly turned around and started heading for one of the exit doors. Neither one of us went after her. That wasn’t part of the plan. Instead I walked into Dr. Kennedy’s office and shit the door just enough so that nobody could see inside.

She stood up and I walked over, wrapping my arms around her waist and hugging her as tightly as I could.

            “I promise you… everything will be okay.”

            She was shaking a little. I felt bad for her. We stood there like that for another moment and then we had to go. Dr. Kennedy was going to lie and say that she needed to go get her sick daughter, and that they already called her husband who was unavailable, and then we were going to go make sure that Amber got caught and that her daughter made it out of the school before anyone got there.

-

            “Where would he take her?” I asked as we were in her car.

            “My sister’s house. That’s where I told him to take her. I didn’t think she knew about that house.”

            “I think it should be fine. She’ll go to your house first.”

            We got to her sister’s house in no time, seeing as Dr. Kennedy was speeding obnoxiously the whole way there. It was amazing that we didn’t get pulled over. Then again… the cops may have been on a more important call.