2

cw: language, bullying, non-Black person saying the 'n'-word, unfiltered anger, gun, fuckboy behavior, mention of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, mention of sex, toxic relationship, sexual manipulation

Niggas-Ain't-Shit—

The bell rang, and the middle schoolers ran out. They were all excited about the dance later that night.

Kush was just hoping it wouldn't last long.

Ryélle met him under the oak tree like usual, but she wasn't going home with him tonight.

He was just there to make sure no one tried to mess with her while she was waiting for her mom.

Ry hugged her brother the moment she was close enough. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her head. "Hey, babygirl."

"You're still coming tonight, right?"

"Yeah, I'm'a meet you up here at seven."

"Promise me." She held out her pinky.

He chuckled and linked his. They raised their hands to kiss their thumbs at the same time, sealing the pact.

"I promise I'll be here," he said.

She nodded as A'merie pulled up and let down the window. "Ryélle, let's go!" she yelled.

Despite him being her first child, she didn't even acknowledge Kush.

Ryélle hugged him again. "I love you."

He kissed her head, "I love you more. I'll see you tonight. Go."

She hurried off to get in the car, and Kush watched as they pulled off. Once they were out of sight, he headed to London's house.

The door was unlocked, so he walked in and locked it behind himself. The boys were all in Baby's room, so he went in and flopped onto the bed.

"Where Ry?" Darnell asked.

"Her momma picked her up."

"What time the dance?" Leo added.

"Seven to ten, so after I leave there I got a hour to get ready for the party," Kush replied.

"Leo, you sure your momma go'n let you drive, bruh?" Baby asked.

He laughed. "Me? Oh, fuck no. I can't go near her shit since I wrecked mine. But she trust Kush, so she'll let him drive."

After a while, Kush headed home to get ready.

The dance was dressy casual, so he just put on black jeans and a tank top then texted his sister to see what color she was wearing so he could match it.

He had a ridiculous amount of dress shirts, so whatever color she was wearing, he was sure he already had it.

He laid down for what felt like ten minutes. Sure, he'd drifted off to sleep for a moment, but he was awake again quick, so he was sure not much time had passed.

He rubbed his eyes open and checked his phone to see she'd finally responded, and on top of that, it was already after seven.

Over an hour ago, Ryélle had sent a picture in the dress she was wearing. It was black and V-cut with pink and red flowers on the flared out skirt.

"Aww, look at my baby," he pouted before noticing the time again. "Shit."

Not having much time to think on it, Kush decided he'd just wear a red shirt and slid on a pair of loafers to match.

"Ma, I'm finna go!" he yelled, hurriedly spraying on cologne. He went in Snoh's room and kissed her cheek.

"Ooh! You smell good," she smiled.