"Althea, what's all this?" The maid asked as she patted her wet hands against her apron.

The young woman smiled as she pulled a bouquet of pink carnations out of the bag and handed them over to Opal to put in a vase.

"Groceries for tonight's dinner,"

Opal's eyebrows crinkled in confusion as she took the flowers.

"But Mrs.Jackson requested steamed flounder for tonight's dinner," She replied.

Althea took a plump duck out of the bag and then turned to face the maid.

"Michael and I have a very important announcement to make and I thought it might be nice to have a special dinner,"

Althea figured the news might go over better with a nice meal to accompany it. She hardly knew anyone who could get upset on a full stomach.

The maid grinned at the young woman as she poured water in a crystal vase.

"We finally get to find out that news you two have been hiding," Opal teased. "I can't wait,"

"What news?"

Katherine's voice drifted into the kitchen before she did and Althea felt herself tense up a bit.

She didn't want Kathrine to have a single hint about the surprise. They'd already patched up the misunderstanding they'd had about Brooke's presence at the party. The last thing Althea needed was to make Kathrine suspicious and distrusting of her.

The Jackson Matriarch poured herself a cup of coffee as she waited for the two to answer her question.

Opal chuckled sheepishly.

"I'm not at liberty to say, Mrs. Jackson," she replied. "I hardly know myself,"

Althea took a deep breath and smiled at her mother-in-law.

"Michael and I have some important news to share with the family. I hope you don't mind the change of dinner plans,"

Her mother-in-law smiled as she stirred the sugar in her coffee.

"You and Michael have news, huh? I'm really looking forward to tonight,"

Althea ran her hands over her khakis.

"Me too, Ms. Katie," she replied.

Now that Kathrine was aware that there was a special occasion behind tonight's dinner, the pressure to make dinner go smoothly felt insurmountable.

The last thing Althea wanted was to leave Hayvenhurst on a sour note.

She and Opal worked tirelessly for hours to make sure the duck was succulent and tender and Althea was pleased with their work. Feeling hot and sweaty, she went upstairs to change and freshen up.

Althea drew a hot bath and took some time to relax, trying hard not to think too much about the pending reactions to her and Michael's moving announcement. After she'd lotioned and powdered her caramel skin, Althea slipped on her satin robe and padded to her closet to pick out a dress.

"Hey, baby. You smell incredible,"

The strong arms she loved being in had wrapped around her waist and Althea giggled when he peppered sweet, ticklish kisses against her neck.

"Hi, honey," she kissed his cheek. "How was it at the office today?"

Michael sighed.

"Jermaine's decided he's gonna flaunt Whitney as his new project," he scoffed. "Like it was all his idea. God, I can't stand him,"