Chapter 17- Reconciliation

*It's been months, schools is out for the summer and everyone is talking about their 4th of July plans

*It's been months, schools is out for the summer and everyone is talking about their 4th of July plans. You just smile as you hear the kids behind you talk about the fireworks they want to see. Nat walks up and sits down across from you.*

Nat- so here is your coffee, you owe me.

Y/N- I've got the last 12. I owe you shit.

*She laughs*

Nat- So? How's it been?

Y/N- Well I've officially graduated from therapy!

*Nat smiles*

Nat- is that a thing?

Y/N- I say it is! *You smile and take a sip* anyway, I've been good. Realized I've been doing a lot of self-sabotaging

Nat- you don't say?! *she says sarcastically, you smile and kick her. She laughs and drinks her coffee*

Y/N- yes! I ruined things and hurt people before they could hurt me. *You stare at your drink*

Nat- hey I was just joking-

Y/N- I know honey *You smile* I know. I just can't help think about Steve and how I treated him. God he probably hates me.

Nat- he could never hate you, like ever. *You gently smile* have you spoken to him?

Y/N- no, not since I left. I saw him a couple weeks ago though. He looked good, happy *You smile and look up at her. She smiles and then smirks.* okay chill, besides aren't you two like fuck buddies now?

Nat- key term- buddies. I have a few buddies *She winks*

Y/N- yeah Sydney thinks I want to hear about it all the time, please pass along that I don't! *She laughs*

Nat- I don't talk to him unless we are about to-

Y/N- Buddy up?! *She laughs and nods*

Nat- yup! *She finishes her coffee and then looks down at her phone, she smiles.* speaking of! Time to buddy up, gotta go!

Y/N- it's the middle of the day!

Nat- and its summer! *She winks* teachers gotta live! *She runs off to catch a cab, she yells back* Call Steve, since you're all healed and graduated!

*You wave goodbye and head down the street.*

*You see the bakery you use to buy Steve's birthday cake at.*

Y/N- you know Nat, maybe you're right.

*You smile and walk in, you look around and you see the perfect cake. You ask to buy it but they say it was the last one and someone already bought it. Someone walks in and the guy behind the counter points to the person who just came in.*

Guy- maybe they will sell it to you.

*You turn around and see Steve*

Y/N- Steve

Steve- Hey Y/N *He smiles and walks forward. He hugs you and holds you tight.* do you have the time? Can we talk?

*You nod. He grabs his cake and walks out with you.*

Steve- how have you been?!

Y/N- good, *Steve nods, you can see the hurt in his eyes as he looks at you.* look Steve I am so sorry for how I left- how I left you and things- could you ever forgive me? *You look at him and his gaze softens, which you didn't think was possible.*

Steve- yeah, its all forgiven. Could you forgive me?

*You cry, so full of joy yet caught of guard.*

Y/N- forgive you for what?!

Steve- for trying to replace him. *He looks at his feet, you take his hand and hold it tight. He looks at you, understanding what you were saying without you having to say it.* you wanna go eat this with me? *he holds up the cake*

Y/N- you bet! *you hold his hand as you two head to the park. You find a nice spot and sit down* you went back to the bakery? *You smirk and he laughs and nods.*

Steve- well I am a national treasure *He winks. You laughs and take a bite.*

*You talk about your therapy and how it helped. What you've learned about yourself and how to cope with your feelings about Bucky.*

Steve- that's amazing y/n. I'm so proud of you.

*You talk about what you've both been up to, you mention how you know about him and Nat. he blushes.*

Steve- of good! *He says sarcastically* I'm glad she is sharing! *You laugh. He looks at you and smiles.*

*You talk about the world and what's going on. you enjoy your time together, it was like it was before.*

Y/N- I've missed you Steve, like a lot.

Steve- yeah, what hurt the most when you left was that I couldn't even turn to my best friend to vent and talk about it because that was you, is you. *He looks at you and you wipe a tear. You lean against his shoulder.*

Y/N- again Steve, I am so sorry-

Steve- Shhh I know y/n. It's in the past now. *He smiles at you*

*You stay like that and watch the fireworks. Steve offers to take you home.*

Y/N- sure, thanks.

*He stops outside of the building.*

Steve- you've lived 5 blocks away this whole time?

Y/N- yeah, guess I couldn't really leave. *You slightly blush and so does Steve. He hugs you and kisses your head.*

Steve- lunch tomorrow?

Y/N- you got it Stevie! *You wave as you walk into your place. Steve sees a missed call from Nat and a text that says "You up, Buddy?" he smirks and walks down the street.*